Car Hire in Spain & Travel in France

milic

I am thinking of flying to Bilbao, hiring car at Airport and holidaying in France. Anyone know if there are additional insurance complications/costs with car hire in Spain and holiday in France?

It shouldn't be any issue at all - Though you should double check that the car hire company don't add extra charges if you take the car into France - it should be in the small print of their terms and conditions .. there quite possibly wouldn't be a charge, and even if there was it should be fairly nominal, but just make sure to avoid any surprises.

Other than that no issue really - presuming you're dropping the car back to Bilbao or somewhere else in Spain (one way rentals picking up in Spain and dropping in France would be very expensive)

We also flew to Spain, hired a car, and then drove to France for our holiday. At the airport, we were asked for our address in Spain and we said we'd be staying in France. We were charged an additional €7.50 per day additional insurance. So beware. Maybe if you're spending a night in Spain at all and have an address, you can give that to the rental agency. In Northern Spain in particular, they always try to charge additional stuff for travel to France.

Was in Spain a few years back, crossed the border and had to pay extra insurance per day.
Don't not get it for the sake of a few quid.

Hertz will let you hire in Spain and travel to France with no extra daily charge.

Even if you're not flying with them, I have found the best Hertz deals on the Ryanair website. I recently flew with Aer Lingus and the Hertz rate via their website was €50 more expensive from the same airport with Ryanair.

We also flew to Spain, hired a car, and then drove to France for our holiday. At the airport, we were asked for our address in Spain and we said we'd be staying in France. We were charged an additional €7.50 per day additional insurance. So beware. Maybe if you're spending a night in Spain at all and have an address, you can give that to the rental agency. In Northern Spain in particular, they always try to charge additional stuff for travel to France.

Not sure this is a good way to go as the onus is on the insuree to disclose all the facts,and if this is not done then the insurance would be invalid,so even though you might think you have saved on the cost of the initial insurance the fact is you you have just wasted that amount as you will not be legally insured due to non disclosure of all the facts i.e in this case driving and staying in a DIFFERENT country.

Back