Motor Car Hire Excess Insurance Cover

glynner

We hire a car in Portugal a couple of times a year for the last few years and thankfully have never had any accidents or problems. But it has always been a concern to us regarding the excess cover . We always ask for full excess cover with the company we use but if anything happened we wonder what full excess really covers when dealing with foreign companies. I have been looking at websites regarding buying annual cover for such incidents and am none the wiser. I have looked at threads on this site but would appreciate any input or recommendations to steer me in the right direction.

I just put in a claim today for this very thing so I'll let you know how it goes! I took a policy specific to my trip as the annual fee (€51) is the equivalent of 17 days' rental, and I'm not sure I would have that much in a year.

Thanks rob.oyle the cover I was looking at costs €55 per year . would love to hear how you get on and maybe you will tell me who you are insured with

It covers what is says it cover under the policy. Not trying to be smart.

I buy cover and it cover the excess up to 5k, damage to windscreen and tyres, loss of keys, damage to undercarriage of vehicle and towing charges.

Thanks peteb I understand the cover just want direction on best company to buy insurance with

I just put in a claim today for this very thing so I'll let you know how it goes! I took a policy specific to my trip as the annual fee (€51) is the equivalent of 17 days' rental, and I'm not sure I would have that much in a year.

So, claim forms & documentation submitted on 28 August, heard nothing since so called them yesterday. Said they were going to be reviewing the file that day (of course they were!) but got an e-mail this morning to say that the claim would be paid in full. I had all the documentation requested and submitted the claim within a week of the end of the rental so I think there was little reason for anything to be held up anyway.

Final update - received an e-mail at the end of last week saying my claim had been accepted and I received a cheque in the post this morning for the amount paid to the rental company upon return of the vehicle.

Back