Car dispute with dealer and recurring problems not resolved

Roro999

I have a 2 year old car bought new from a dealer. It has been in and back with recurring problems.
Is there any body I can bring my grievances to on this ?

I’m assuming the dealer would like too keep you as a returning customer.
If they don’t help you im assuming they’ll lose you as a customer so its kinda of in there interest too keep you happy but as its a reoccurring problem maybe look at contacting the manufacturer of the said car as they might have recalls etc on the make/ model.

Thanks for reply but the dealer currently has my car three weeks trying to fix problems. It's 2 years old. So I am asking is there any agency/body I can approach with my issues in getting some type of new car arrangement. Would CCPC be of assistance ?

I have a 2 year old car bought new from a dealer. It has been in and back with recurring problems.
I take it you're less than satisfied with the dealer's attitude. I would suggest that you document everything so far and contact the distributor or manufacturer with a view to rejecting the vehicle as unfit or not as described on purchase.

I'd be very sceptical about using an organisation whose members, motor traders, dealers, mechanics, etc pay to have the SIMI represent their interests. I don't believe they can represent their paid members' interest and fairly represent a consumer in a dispute.

Did you sign the infamous SIMI order form when purchasing the vehicle? If you did then you have already agreed to use their in-house dispute resolution service, which may erode some of your consumer rights. The usual fairy story here is that they must use the form for their VAT & VRT returns and you need to sign it as your "receipt". Rubbish of course. All you need and are entitled to is a properly dated invoice with the vehicle details, date of the transaction, signed and marked "Paid in Full".

Contact the distributor/importer of the marque and lay out the details of the problem and the dealer's inability to fix the problem(s).

See here for some further information: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer/cars/buying-a-new-car/

What sort of problems, and how many different times have you brought it back?

We had reoccurring issues with a car previously purchased for my mother (it was an ex demo). The 3rd time I brought it back, I told them we weren't willing to keep it. After a bit of a tough conversation, the dealer agreed to take the car back. We then selected another car from the same dealer, which has been trouble free to date.

If the car is giving problems, tell the dealer in no uncertain terms that you don't think they've sold you a car of mechantable quality and you want it replaced. If they won't agree, immediately get on to the distributor and tell them that you'll be on to Joe Duffy next, and then to your solicitor.

What sort of problems, and how many different times have you brought it back? I'd rather not elaborate on the problems but it has been shipped around the country to a few trying to fix the problems. Its been back four times

We had reoccurring issues with a car previously purchased for my mother (it was an ex demo). The 3rd time I brought it back, I told them we weren't willing to keep it. After a bit of a tough conversation, the dealer agreed to take the car back. We then selected another car from the same dealer, which has been trouble free to date.

If the car is giving problems, tell the dealer in no uncertain terms that you don't think they've sold you a car of mechantable quality and you want it replaced. If they won't agree, immediately get on to the distributor and tell them that you'll be on to Joe Duffyd

next, and then to your solicitor.

Contact the distributor/importer of the marque and lay out the details of the problem and the dealer's inability to fix the problem(s).
I had a problem with a 6 weeks old Hyundai in 2019.
Contacting the Irish Distributor was of little use.
I had to contact the European Headquarters of Hyundai to get a worthwhile response.

I had a problem with a 6 weeks old Hyundai in 2019.
Contacting the Irish Distributor was of little use.
I had to contact the European Headquarters of Hyundai to get a worthwhile response.
A new Hyundai ?

4 years. Not much good to me when they cannot fix or claiming to fix it only for problems to reoccur.

At this stage, I'd be insisting that they take the car back.

There is a questionmark over why you've held the car for so long, and that will be used against you, in your discussions - with the likely result being that you will probably have to agree some form of compromise, if exchanging the car for another.

You need to start with a very clear conversation with the dealer (who sold you the car) - tell them that:

* you've lost complete faith in the car, due to continued problems,

* you don't consider it to have been of merchantable quality when sold, but appreciate that's no reflection on the dealer, just an unfortunite car.

* you've given them a number of opportunities to repair it, but it's still not right, so now you want a replacement or refund.

* Be factual in the letter, summarise the faults, the timeliness, periods you've been without your car as a result etc.

They won't be happy with the above, but if it's a fair reflection of the situation, then you need to say it very clearly, before proceeding.

If you find it difficult to have that full conversation with them, and ideally with a witness present, then also put it in writing, but go to them and try to discuss it, only if that isn't too your satisfaction, then hand them the letter.

I'd give them 7 days to respond, in writing, if you've to go the letter route.

In the meantime, you need to consider what your really want here, and what you'll settle for. A full refund, or brand new car, might be a bit of a stretch, given this has gone on two years, but puts the place to start, I suppose.

I'd also be preparing a letter to the main distributor, to include copy of the letter sent to the dealer, calling for them to intervene.

Mention of the Joe Duffy radio show is probably left for a heat of the moment conversation, I don't think I'd put it in a letter though, even if you do intended to phone the show.

Last edited:
I had a recurring problem with a secondhand car under warranty.

I was getting the runaround from the salesman over the phone.

There was a standard SIMI clause in the sales contract, allowing me to escalate it to their disputes panel.

I put the complaints in writing to the owner of the garage and threatened to take it to SIMI. That got the wheels turning, and the garage put the time and effort into fixing the problem.

I suggest you do the same.

Back