Car damaged,is it worth claiming?

galway2008

Hi All,
Hope someone can please advise me on what to do.

I recently came home after holidays to find someone had crashed into the drivers side of my car. Noone has come forward to accept responsiblity..
I have been driving 1.5years still on a prov licence.no prev claims. The damage i suspect will be too much for me to afford at the moment(cant even put down the drivers window!) I have rang my insurance co (hibernian)they have advised me that is i claim that my insurance will go up at renewl but cant tell me by how much. dilema really is the fact that i will be soon moving to dub city centre so was planning on selling my car anyways. is it better to claim off insurance so i can sell my car. im concerned that when i go to buy a car & get insured in the future my insurance will have shot up.
thanks

Re: Car damaged,is it worth claiming??

How much damage? How much ncb? Car value?

Car is worth around 5k, damage is max 1k. Sorry not Not too sure how NCB works to be honest?? i've never claimed,driving 1.5years and fully comp...

What year is your car? if it is old its not worth claiming off your insurance. Was it just the drivers door was damaged? If it was only the door you could get a cheap replacement at a breakers yard.

Your NCB will be gone, 1yr NCB is worth approx 19%, 2yrs is approx 25% - insurers don't work out NCB in less than full years for the other 6 months would be gone also.

Lets say that your estimate is for €1000, your excess has to come off that - I think Hibernian is €250 - so you would receive approx €750. Lets assume that your premium is a round figure of €1000 - less 1yr NCB you'd be paying roughly €810. If you keep the same vehicle and nothing else changes (full licence, moving etc) then your insurance would be approx €750 for the year when you go to renew. If you do claim your premium is going to €1000 plus loading - loading is a % of the pay-out, (lets say roughly an extra €150)

Obviously the above figures are just guesswork as you don't say what your anuual premium is. The other thing to consider is that your additional 6 months claim free driving would go down the swanee and you won't have any NCB until you go to renew at the end of 2009.

You could inform your insurer, get the figures all agreed at insurance company rates and then settle yourself - least you'd know for sure that you were paying the right price.

As an aside, we returned from hols last year to find our car damaged at Cork airport, despite having protected NCB, we felt that the easiest thing was to settle ourselves.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies.

i think i will look into fixing it my self, better start putting the pennys aside! :(

Back