Canon G11 - Recommendations

MandaC

I need a new camera and have been pointed in the direction of G10/G11. Can anyone please advise?

Manda, what kind of camera have you used before?
And importantly, what kind of photography course are you doing?

Any relatively serious camera course will concentrate on using DSLR (digital single lens reflex)

While the G9 (which I have,) G10 and G11 have a lot of functions a DSLR has, it is very limited in lens and zoom capability compared to a full size DSLR.

If I didn't have a camera and I was fairly serious about photography and doing a course and I was going to pay around 400 to €500 (not sure how much a G11 is) I would consider an entry level Nikon or Canon DSLR.

Agree with Ash.
Worth checking with the course provider what type of camera they recommend.
Probably will be using DSLR.
Second hand might be an option, check adverts.ie

Starting out, I will be doing the beginners and then intermediate course later on in the year. One friend recommended Canon G10/G11, another one Canon S90.

I intend to get to a decent competency level, though am never going to be David Bailey.

Am already keeping tabs out for something second hand on the likes of adverts.ie, most of the equipment looks as it has been very well looked after. Though there are some good deals if you were prepared to buy in from the UK. Eg, Canon G11 is 645 here, vs. around 360 STG.

I'm still not clear on the course you're going to do. Is it a photography course or is photography just a module in another course?

The G11 and S90 are basically point & shoot cameras. If you want to use your camera and your creativity to it's potential, and if the course IS a photography course, then I would not bother with the small camera but hold off buying until you can get a DSLR. The P&S cameras are limited in what they can do and this could become very obvious the further into the course you get.

But as Tiger said above, the smart thing to do would be to contact your course tutor(s) and ask what type of camera is recommended to have for the course.

By the way, didn't David Bailey famously advertise an Olympus point and shoot camera some years back?

But as Tiger said above, the smart thing to do would be to contact your course tutor(s) and ask what type of camera is recommended to have for the course.
+1

I'd be thinking of something like a secondhand 450D (or even 350D).

Course Tutor recommended G11. It is a beginners course, not a module in anything else and I may do an intermediate course, but that is as far as I want to go. So point and shoot all the way.

Ordered it online via Pixmania late on Tuesday night, arrived in perfect condition at half past 10 this morning. (I did not even order the 48 hour delivery) I know some people complain about Pixmania, but that is really a great service.

Back