Cannot receive calls in new phone - Sim Card issue?

1dave123

Hi

I put a GOMO sim in a new android phone (ULEFONE NOTE 14).

Can make calls no problem
Can access the internet via mobile data no problem. Also via wifi works fine.
Can send and receive texts no problem

When i receive a call ...... the phone rings but when I press accept the call disconnects instantly

The GOMO sim works fine in an iphone 6

A tesco mobile sim works perfectly in the new phone (ULEFONE NOTE 14)

Have been trying for several hours to sort this out. Even did a factory reset of the new phone. No change though.

I have removed the sim and put it back in. I have restarted the phone several times.

The sim card is the correct size.

I am starting to think that the gomo sim is simply not compatible with the new android phone - but if this were true I am surprised that I can make calls and send/receive texts and access the internet via mobile data. Receiving calls is the only issue.

Phone is not on do not disturb. The phone rings but upon pressing accept the calls disconnects instantly.

Has anyone got any suggstions?

Thank you.

You should
Has anyone got any suggstions?
Contact Gomo support and ask them about it.

Thanks for the replies. I have tried all the suggestions in the articles. Also tried some youtube videos. Nothing worked. A factory reset also failed to resolve the issue.

Gomo customer Serice simply suggested stuff I had already tried. The GOMO sim works perfectly in an iphone 6. On the surface this would suggest a phone issue - but the phone works perfectly with two tesco mobile sims.

The phone is unlocked. Android 12.

Unless someone out there has actually had this problem (or similar) and managed to resolve it I fear I won't find a solution to this one. It's too obscure.

GOMO will say its a phone issue. Ulefone will say its a Sim card (GOMO) issue.

Last edited:
GOMO will say its a phone issue. Ulefone will say its a Sim card (GOMO) issue.

Yes indeed. You've already proven that the sim can accept calls from another phone. Hence I don't think its the sim provider's issue.

It's most likely a bug in the Ulefone android build.

Here is what I would do:
  1. Check the GoMo network signal where you are receiving the calls. Is it the same outdoors?
  2. Is the Ulefone Note 14 updated to the latest OS and apps? (Especially if you factory reset it, there's likely a lot of system apps that need updating)
  3. GoMo use the Eir network, have you tried changing the network provider from GoMo (enabling roaming) to Eir? Still same?
  4. I don't know much about Ulefone and its android builds. (Each provider, Samsung est all tweak the stock Google android releases) Is the Note 14 using the stock version of the Google phone app? Try a different phone dialer on the phone.
  5. It could be that Ulefone don't recognise GoMo as a carrier, hence point 3 above. If the Note14 is under warranty its worth reaching out to Ulefone Support or their community forum if such exists.
If helpful:

Good luck!

Hi folks - appreciate the additional suggestions. Some very interesting ones there. Will definitely try them as soon as I can (I won't have access to that phone again until next Sunday)

In the meantime ....... The ulefone 14P note was 100% up to date system and apps wise when i started this earlier. After the factory reset I haven't as yet spent time re-updating the phone.

Either way the incoming calls issue was there.

The 14P note does recognise the sim card as Meteor Irl (i think) and the signal seems strong (4 bars) both inside amd outside. As I say, making calls is fine - but connecting to incoming calls is proving to be an unexpected challenge

The 14P is marketed as Stock Android 12.

I did try a different phone app earlier but it didn't fix the problem.

One last thing for now ................ I just tried the GOMO sim card in my old Ulefone 7P (Android 9). It worked no problem.

So I am leaning towards the issue being with the Ulefone 14P or perhaps Android 12?.

The same Ulefone 14P with Android 12 works perfectly with Tesco mobile.

So I am leaning towards the issue being with the Ulefone 14P or perhaps Android 12?.
It's unlikely to be Android 12, as otherwise there would be thousands of people experiencing the same issue.

As stated it's likely Ulefone's build of Android.

The manufacturer may well state that it's running a stock version of Android. Which is semi correct if you are talking about the OS kernel and system apps. Most manufacturers add their own UI tweaks on top of the stock android version. For example, I've owned several Samsung and Huawei devices each has a different flavour. (Have to say I did like EMUI)

The only pure Android phones, fully compatible with all Android releases are Googles pixiel phones..

I do recall I had an issue years ago with Android and connectivity. Back then what I found out was it was an issue with a specific Android library (iirc modem), aka bug.

From the process of elimination tests carried out so far it does seem to point towards the phone/firmware being the issue.

The no 4G/LTE or wifi test that I mentioned earlier would be worth trying.

Maybe also get a replacement SIM from Gomo on the slim chance that it's something to do with the current SIM in the new phone that's causing the issue.

Is it possible to downgrade/upgrade the Android firmware on the phone in case another version proves more successful?

Bit of a stab in the dark here but, can you try disabling carrier data (4G/LTE) and wifi on the phone temporarily and see if that makes any difference with an incoming call?
It was a great shot in the dark though - I turned off something called VoLTE (i think) and now the incoming calls are working. Started this at 2pm today and now almost 9 hours later it is finally working. Thank u very much

Thanks also @Wandering_Dazed for those excellent suggestions. Much appreciated.

Is it possible to downgrade/upgrade the Android firmware on the phone in case another version proves more successful?
It is possible to root android phones and install custom build or truly "stock android versions" but you need to be super careful and know what builds suit which chipsets your phone has. Otherwise you risk bricking the phone completely.

I'd still like to hear if the OP has tried connecting to another network first.

My bet is on the Ulefone custom build.

Agree no harm trying a replacement GoMo sim in case just in case. But the fact the same sim works in an IPhone.....

It was a great shot in the dark though - I turned off something called VoLTE (i think) and now the incoming calls are working. Started this at 2pm today and now almost 9 hours later it is finally working. Thank u very much

Thanks also @Wandering_Dazed for those excellent suggestions. Much appreciated.
Awesome!!!!!!! Indeed GoMo don't support 5g on the Eir network. Thank @ClubMan of course.

Ok, so my hunch, from some googling, was indeed based on the possibility that on answering the call it was trying to switch to VoLTE and for some reason was failing (I guess that Gomo or most virtual operators don't offer it?). Switching off wifi was just a belt and braces suggestion.

So is switching off VoLTE a solution or just a stopgap for you? I presume that if you can switch on wifi and 4G and things still work then everything is ok?

So is switching off VoLTE a solution or just a stopgap for you? I presume that if you can switch on wifi and 4G and things still work then everything is ok?
I will know more next week when my brain is less frazzled and I have access to the phone again. But first impressions are this is a solution. Calls now working and I was able to access internet (I don't think I switched off wifi at all ... just VoLTE.)

I don't recall specifically how I accessed VoLTE I I think I just clicked on the Gomo sim card in one of the settings) but I cannot find it at all now with my Tesco mobile sim cards.

Tomorrow I will google VoLTE .... I don't think I came across this in my own googling. I did see lots of mention of switching off wifi calling which I couldn't find anywhere on the phone.

I'd still like to hear if the OP has tried connecting to another network first.
Yes I did try - and 4 options came up GOMO. GOMO (fordidden), GOMO (fordidden) and GOMO (fordidden). Eir was not one of the options available. The phone/sim card did seem to recognise GOMO as the carrier.

Having what sounds like exactly the same issue. GOMO sim in Nokia 2.4. But there is no option to disable VoLTE anywhere in my options...

Back