Cannot get a response from my bank

homeowner

We have a tracker mortgage on a house not in negative equity. We have been trying to move house for the past 18months (sale and purchase have separately fallen through twice since last summer for reasons outside of our control), and we are trying to switch our tracker with a tracker switching product from one of the main banks and not take out any more debt. The mortgage amount will be about 20% of the purchase price on the house which equates to 1x my husbands salary so we are well within the stress testing limits. We have 5 bank accounts with this bank spread across three branches :the mortgage account, one business, three current accounts plus a visa credit card account. We don't bank with any other bank.

The mortgage approval letter ran out last December as it was six months old from when it was issued when we were buying the first house which fell through on the vendor side. In December I rang the bank and asked for it to be reissued with new date as estate agents in dublin were looking for it in order to accept bids from us. I spoke to the mortgage person and was told it would be in the post before Christmas. On Monday January 5th I went into the branch to find out when I would get the letter, talked to the customer service person who popped into the office of the MA and came out and told me it was in the post. On Tuesday 13 I rang the branch as no sign of the letter and left a voice mail with details. No call back. Same 15th (voice mail of customer service manager in the branch), 17th, 19th, 20th, 21st. I finally got a call back at 5pm on 22nd as each day before I left the message the person who answers the phone at a central location, not the branch, heard my story and also said they would contact the branch separate to my voice mails. I finally got talking to customer service manager and explained my efforts to get the letter and also explained that I had spoken to her in person in the branch on Monday 5th and she said the MA from December had left and there was a new person looking after it (the person who said it was in the post on Monday 5th). She put me on hold and came back and said the delay was that they were trying to price the tracker but that the letter should be out the following week. The following day the branch manager called me to say we had the approval, he apologised for the delay and said the letter would be out the following Tuesday. Meantime he emailed me a one liner that I could show to estate agents saying we had mortgage approval.

The following Thursday I emailed him back saying no letter had arrived in the post. He said he would look I to it. One week later I emailed him again saying no letter had arrived. No reply from him. That was a week ago. Still no letter.

If it wasn't for the fact that we want the tracker switcher rate which is much lower than the variable, we would just switch banks. At this stage I literally don't know what to do. Can anyone advise what I can do next. Bear in mind the branch doesn't have a customer service desk, all appointments etc are made through a central number. I am so angry at basically being ignored that the thoughts of a face to face with the manager will make me even more angry as I listen to yet more bull and excuses and come away with still no letter. Should I reapply via another branch and hope for better service?

I'm guessing the bank wants rid of the branch, and they've got a skeleton staff until they get around to replacing it with an ATM. Be a good consumer, take your money somewhere else.

I'm guessing the bank wants rid of the branch, and they've got a skeleton staff until they get around to replacing it with an ATM. Be a good consumer, take your money somewhere else.
Find out that Banks customer Complaints section.
Write to them by reg mail , no phone calls .
Try to explain in as cool a manner as you can , your issue and why you require prompt resolution.
Re-mail the person that has consistently not come back to you and request an explanation and or mail of his superior.

Vexing isn,t it!

Which bank is it?

Email the Chief Executive or the Chairman.

You can also take a complaint for maladministration to the Financial Services Ombudsman. You should contact the FSO and find out the name of the person in the bank who handles FSO complaints. They will probably get it fixed for you.

Brendan

Find out that Banks customer Complaints section.
Write to them by reg mail , no phone calls .
Try to explain in as cool a manner as you can , your issue and why you require prompt resolution.
Re-mail the person that has consistently not come back to you and request an explanation and or mail of his superior.

Vexing isn,t it!

Yes it certainly is, I thought this part of the process would be the easiest but it's turned out to be just as difficult as the buying and selling. I will take your advice, thanks.

Which bank is it?

Email the Chief Executive or the Chairman.

You can also take a complaint for maladministration to the Financial Services Ombudsman. You should contact the FSO and find out the name of the person in the bank who handles FSO complaints. They will probably get it fixed for you.

Brendan
Brendan since you asked I will tell you that it's Bank of Ireland. I didn't want to name and shame here just wanted advice as to who to contact next. Between your and Gerry's advice hopefully I will get some response. It's so frustrating that a necessary document is being withheld effectively, and we cannot even bid on properties without it, delaying us two months at this stage for no apparent reason. Meantime we are going to approach another bank to switch all our accounts, painful as that process is going to be and see what's the best mortgage rate we can get.

I think all the banks are scaling down their customer service desks however you expect a branch to perform basic functions or it's useless. Why have a mortgage advisor if they don't do any work? I have no idea what the guy does ever day but in three months and over twenty phone calls ( I first started calling in November) he has answered the phone exactly twice, the rest of the time it goes to voicemail and no calls are returned. I would have thought branches have to meet certain quotas of business and our application is a certain win for them. But that appears not to be the case. But we are definitely looking at taking our business elsewhere but it will really hurt to loose that tracker.

Just a quick update, after contacting senior persons in the bank, I got the letter this morning! Thanks for the advice here.

It is still totally wrong what you had to go through. And banks should be fined heavily for this to make them buck up and act appropriately. No other business would get away with this. So all of you listening to those fluffy ads on the radio, it's not true. Just do not understand how customers have to put up with this kind of carry on.

I suppose homeowner you didn't get so much as an apology.

It is still totally wrong what you had to go through. And banks should be fined heavily for this to make them buck up and act appropriately. No other business would get away with this. So all of you listening to those fluffy ads on the radio, it's not true. Just do not understand how customers have to put up with this kind of carry on.

I suppose homeowner you didn't get so much as an apology.
Bronte, totally agree but they have us over a barrel with the tracker switching product. We can't take our business elsewhere as the difference in rates is too much. The senior person in the bank who called me and resolved the issue said that the bank manager of the branch involved had been told to call me and to explain the delay and apologise. Needless to say he never did. She called me again later to check if he called me and seemed surprised that he hadnt.

The kicker is, when we finally find a house and want to draw down the mortgage I have to go back into that branch and deal with, guess who, the MA that wouldn't/couldn't handle it in the first place. And I am mentally preparing for a battle to get the mortgage over the line. The senior mortgage person gave me her work number and I am going to contact her first before going back to the branch when we finally go sale agreed.

Back