Can TRS be backdated?

Aoileen

Hi

We had our house through the shared ownership scheme with Dublin City Council and 3 years ago we bought them out. To do this we had to get a new mortgage with AIB.

We thought that the TRS would just transfer accross automaticaly (yes, I know, silly us!). When we got our first statement (after 12 months) I noticed TRS was not deducted so I contacted AIB. They told us we should have filled out a TRS form when we took the mortgage out but not to worry, they would organise to send us a form and it would be sorted out in no time.

When we got the form we filled it out and returned it. After a few months when nothing had hapened we contacted both AIB and revenue. Both had no record of our submitted form. Revenue sent us another form which we completed and returned and were told again that it would be sorted out in no time and that we needn't do anything else.

We never heard anything back. I always put things on the long finger and had a lot of other things going on at the time and the fact that our mortgage was very small (44k) we never bothered chasing up on it.

We are now moving house and will be clearing our mortgage (hopefuly!).

Any advice of what we should do/who we should contact about it etc.

Can TRS be backdated?

Has this happened to anyone here before?

Yes it can be backdated.
When I bought my first home, I was late in submitting the form by about 6 months which spanned over Dec/Jan and into Feb.
The TRS I should have been given for the period up to Dec I was given in a cheque as a lump sum.
The TRS for the period from Jan to Feb until my application was granted was applied to my TRS for the year in which it was granted.

TRS can be claimed back for up to 4 previous years.

Just call the TRS section in Revenue.

Back