Can some help on INTRASTAT query?

bogartsqueen

I have been put in charge of doing our Intrastat reports, this is the first time doing so. I have no knowledge of the vat system so I'm really confused.

Can someone please clarify the following for me please (in lay mans terms please :) )

We buy most of our goods from the UK, Germany and France.
We are not charged vat on these invoices.
These companies are vat registered as far as I know (they have a vat number so???)
Are these companies to be included in the report?

The part numbers set up on our system do not have a commodity code.
So for example we have bought in a cable, there is a website in the uk that gives commodity codes but there is different codes for differnt types of cables so how do I know which codes to use?
There are 200 parts for last month alone.

There are also asking for the weight and mode of transport, how on earth do I find this out, do I have to pull each invoice for this info?

Many thanks, all answers appreciated ;)

I do Intrastat returns for our company.

We have over 500 different products but I find that there is generally a code that will cover a category (eg electric cables) without having to be too specific.

You can estimate the weight... it does not have to be accurate to the kilo.

There is a list of codes for the modes of transport... I only use two: 1 = sea 3 = Road.

Finally there are software packages that can extract the information from your existing system so maybe you should investigate this route.

Hope this is of some help.

The return is for the products that you import so individual suppliers do not come into it. However, I find that a lot of european companies will state a Commodity Code on their invoices.

Back