Can Sheriff Possess Goods From Your Home If The Debt Is With Your Limited Company?

Wishes

A friend of mine who's self employed has a judgment against their limited company. The sheriff has been out to their home but on each occasion there has been nobody there. They left a final warning notice.

My friends company is a limited company, dormant, devoid of cash and has no assets but is registered at my friends home.

Now this is were it all gets tricky; due to the downturn she has had to rent her home to pay for the mortgage and is now concerned that if the sheriff gains entry to the property he/she will possess goods belonging to the tenants or remove whatever furniture their is in the property.

Can the sheriff possess goods from your residence if the debt is with a limited company? No personal guarantees were given.

Presumably, assuming she didn't give any personal gurantees, the sherrifs can only take property which belongs to the limited company

No, the sheriff can't seize goods which do not belong to the company.

You should simply write to the sheriff and tell them the situation, including accounts or whatever else is necessary. The Sheriff will not pursue it any further.

Brendan

Back