Can one legally do a U-turn at this junction ?

twofor1

Coming from Bray heading to Dublin city on the N11, the junction at the top of Booterstown Ave.

Cars constantly do U-turns at this junction when they get the green arrow, usually to access the petrol station, this frequently leads to horn blowing, finger waving and near misses from cars trying to U-turn, cars behind the U-turning cars and cars coming up Booterstown Ave., turning left on to the N11.

My belief is one can do a U-turn legally at this junction as there is no sign saying one cannot make a U-turn, furthermore I believe cars turning left on to the N11 from Booterstown Ave., should give way to U-turning cars, as they are coming from their right, also bear in mind cars coming from Booterstown Ave., and turning left only have a flashing amber arrow which means go if safe to do so.

The only credible counter argument I have heard is one cannot do a U-turn at this junction as it is clearly a green right turn arrow as opposed to a green U-turn arrow, which you do occasionally see at some junctions.

I will not have an accident on a point of principal and will always give way regardless, just curious though, can one do a U-turn legally at this junction, and if yes should traffic coming up Booterstown Ave., and turning left give way ?

Last edited:
There is a no U turn sign beside where I work that is consistently ignored.
The fact that there is a taxi rank beside it doesn't help.

I will not have an accident on a point of principal and will always give way regardless, just curious though, can one do a U-turn legally at this junction, and if yes should traffic coming up Booterstown Ave., and turning left give way ?

I don't know if they are legally allowed to do a u turn or not. But if they are, then they would be on the main road, and cars entering the road must give way to traffic already on the road or coming from their right.

brendan

I use this junction regularly and there is a yield sign after the lights as you come up Booterstown avenue and turning left at N11.
(maybe 2meters from lights at edge of N11) So first you obey the lights and then you obey the Yield sign immediately after the lights.

Bad design and confusing for a lot of drivers , Car's doing a u-turn have right of way ,which feels counterintuitive.

Back