Can I take a day off to go to a funeral?

Pickle

My sister is on a contract with a company for last 9 months our aunt died is she entitled to a day off to go to funeral without taking it from her annual leave,

It depends on what's in her contract, or on local arrangements.

In the likes of Civil Service/Health Boards etc if for example your sister is working in Dublin & the funeral is in Dublin or somewhere reasonably close, she would be entitled to a half day compassionate leave. If it was further afield she would be entitled to a day. It has to be a blood relative - by this I mean that your aunt would have to be a sister of one of your parents, & not a sister-in-law.

In a private company, it might be the case that compassionate leave is only provided for parents, partners, offspring or siblings, so she would really need to check with HR Dept. as to what arrangements are in place.

When you say 'on contract', is she an employee (i.e. are they paying PAYE and PRSI for her) or is she a contractor (i.e. getting paid a fixed rate and she looks after her own tax)?

The way employment law is being undermined in this country you will be lucky to get a day off for your own funeral. And as for any other you are entitled to it as long as you give three months notice.

Check your contract or with the HR department. In my company (private sector) you would be entilted to a day off for an aunt but it is not statutory leave so up to each individual company to have a policy on it.

In small companies the usual would be for the employee to take the time off without pay.

Back