Can I refuse to have my ESB Meter replaced with a Smart Meter?

U still get FIT if no smart metre. It’s estimated based on size of system. I have battery and EV so v little going back to grid so estimate works best for me..
I’m waiting on my smart meter to be replaced with D/N meter. Will be big savings for me as can change the EV and battery on night rate. Hope to see little if any daytime electricity usage.
Only just seen this - I thought it was the case too, but our supplier Energia is having absolutely none of it.

They aren't even properly paying people who have smart meters at the moment - citing a row with ESB.

but there is a small catch the standing charge is 418.78 on the plan compared to 281.12 on the normal smart plan
That's more than a small catch. I switched from ESB d/n plan because of this as it affects lowish users more.

That's more than a small catch. I switched from ESB d/n plan because of this as it affects lowish users more.
Yeah, when I was making the switch, the EV plan was the one that I felt offered the best rates even though I don't have a EV yet
I felt that the rates on offer especially the EV rate would suit us better in how we use our electricity than the free electricity on Sunday that we ended up going for. Maybe next year now that I'm monitoring our usage I can make it work for us
But as you say if you're a low energy user and don't charge your EV often this could be a more expensive plan to be on

Only just seen this - I thought it was the case too, but our supplier Energia is having absolutely none of it.

They aren't even properly paying people who have smart meters at the moment - citing a row with ESB.
Yes - just found this out too. Went with EI night boost.

I don't have a problem with a charge for reading your old-style meter or to put it another way, a discount if you have a smart meter

if you want to continue with an old meter, then you should have to shoulder the cost of having them read
Can you read it yourself and feed info to them

Can you read it yourself and feed info to them
You can but they would probably want to check the actual reading occasionally to make sure you're not way under reporting then end up disappearing \ passing away.

I would favour changing to a smart meter if it is not a worse deal.
Take a look at the usage based calculators for the smart plans on Bonkers. If you can shift a significant portion of usage to non-peak (which should be achievable with an EV that gets regular use and a charger that can be programmed to favour off-peak) then the smart plans will work out cheaper for you.

Due out next week to install a smart meter. Is it still the case that I can say no thanks.

People only complain about the minor issues that they have, millions of customers have smart meters installed and working as they should - but why would they be bothered writing in to the media or news forums?

As always, only bad news makes it to the forefront

I have had a smart meter for years now, and have hod no problems at all - I guess I'm just one of the millions of happy customers

I have had a smart meter for years now, and have hod no problems at all - I guess I'm just one of the millions of happy customers
Same here, Installed 2020 and have had no issues with the meter itself

Switched on the Smart meter last year with the "Free electricity on Sunday" plan and saved money compared to a standard plan
And IIRC even if I hadn't the free electricity and that usage was transferred to the peak rate I still would have saved compared to a standard plan
Now for 24' I'm on the EV plan with BG as the free electricity on Sunday did tie you up for the day and became a bit of a pain in the backside
But would think it's worth the inconvenience if struggling or looking for ways to make ends meet

but why would they be bothered writing in to the media or news forums?
Exactly, people don't read news articles saying everything's working as expected. The occasional 'My smart meter ate my dog' story gathers massive views and comments from conspiracy theorists who have no idea what they're talking about.

Even the current Indo headline "Thousands warned over 'malfunctioning' smart meters leading to overcharging" is nonsense. Reading the article it's clear the meters work exactly as expected, but they are in locations with no mobile coverage so can't connect to update, and then people are somehow surprised that bills based on estimated readings are not 100% accurate! :rolleyes:

Reading all the negative reports about smart meters I am glad that I did not not make the switch now.
I opted out of the scheme last year. Very easy. I phoned the ESB and told them that I do not want their smart meter. No problem for them. I got a letter from them as well confirming that I won't get the meter installed.
We use around 2300 kw per year. I monitor everything for the last 25 years. All old bulbs were replaced with LED lamps. All electrical items have been changed to low consumption items. Every socket has a switch to prevent anything being in stand-by mode by accident.
I read the meter every 60 days and sent in the reading via the ESB online facility. I am doing that for at least 5 years now- no meter reader around here anymore for a long time.
We do not intend to do our washing in the middle of the night or on Sundays or whatever funny times the power is for free. We want to use our energy when we want- and not, when a plan allows it for free.
I am well aware that at some day down the road our old analogue meter will be replaced with a smart meter due to old age. But we carry on till then.
I do not believe I would save anything with it. A bit of common sense saves you more than this gadget.
By the way- an analogue meter lasts for many decades. A smart meter lasts for about 10 years- and needs to be replaced regularly. A huge pile of electronic junk will be produced that way.

By the way- an analogue meter lasts for many decades. A smart meter lasts for about 10 years- and needs to be replaced regularly. A huge pile of electronic junk will be produced that way.
Is there any plan in place to replace smart meters after a set number of years ?

Considering the years it is taking to convert the existing stock of analogue meters to smart meters this could end up like the painting of the Forth Bridge.

Is there any plan in place to replace smart meters after a set number of years ?

Considering the years it is taking to convert the existing stock of analogue meters to smart meters this could end up like the painting of the Forth Bridge.
There is no plan for the replacement. It is like with everything. People don't think ahead.

A quick Google search seems to indicate that 10 years would be the minimum and typical would be 20 to 30 years
But like all electrical things it depends, it could last 1 year or 40

A quick Google search seems to indicate that 10 years would be the minimum and typical would be 20 to 30 years
I noticed that there are some sites which suggest that it lasts for about 20 to 30 years. This was not the case up to a few years ago. There is a considerable push to force people into the smart meter scheme- with propaganda accompanying it.
Check out this link- it is still honest about the problem:

Back