Can I get a refund?

Dove101

Bought my DD her first pair of shoes cost €48 euro expensive I know but she had to wear shoes with good support. Anyhow they were white with a red design on them within 24 hours the red design had worn of them and they looked awful. I rang the shop to let them know as it will be another day or so before I can get to the shop the manager told me she will give me a credit note.

I don't want a credit note as they were the only shoes the fitted DD plus they were faulty in my opinion and just want my money back.

I think it's "Darling Daughter". Same realm as DH (Dear Heart), found in many mum/ mum to be and parenting forums :rolleyes:

Nicola

The law says that you can be offered a repair, a refund or a replacement. It's within the shops rights to offer you any of the 3, and normally shops will insist on repair first, then replace and only refund as a last resort.

Unfortunately, if they offer repair as the first option, you'll pretty much have to accept this.

how do you repair a missing pattern? replacement is likely to have the same problem. Goods are faulty so you can get a refund. they are pretending that a credit note is a refund and its not. demand a refund

I bought an expensive pair of shoes for my daughter many moons ago and they were faulty. When I returned them to the shop they would not entertain my complaint.

I wrote to the manufacturer in the UK and they requested that I return the shoes for testing. For pig iron and to prove a point I posted the shoes back to them. They tested them and confirmed that they were faulty. I think they gave me a refund rather than a new pair of shoes.

I think it's "Darling Daughter". Same realm as DH (Dear Heart), found in many mum/ mum to be and parenting forums :rolleyes:

Nicola

I know this is way off topic but I always thought that DH was Darling Husband - a lot of those threads on magicmum now make sense :eek:

This is off topic too: Some of those forums are really good for info for people, but I have to say,I hate those abbreviations!! They make my skin a bit crawly.
PS it's entirely possible that DH could also possible mean Darling Husband, not sure :eek:

Nicola

PS Dove, you should insist on a refund: as above, same problem will happen with another pair, you can't repair them, and you are not required to accept a credit note for faulty goods

Last edited:
Why can't they say husband/wife/son/daughter without the stupid abbreviation?? The English language is going down the tubes...:mad:

Anyway the OP might contend that the shoes were not fit for purpose and is entitled to either a refund or replacement (of the three Consumer R's). Repair does not seem to be an option here.

Why can't they say husband/wife/son/daughter without the stupid abbreviation?? The English language is going down the tubes...:mad:

Anyway the OP might contend that the shoes were not fit for purpose and is entitled to either a refund or replacement (of the three Consumer R's). Repair does not seem to be an option here.

I think you should say Original Poster not that stupid abbreviation. The English language is indeed going down the tubes :D

[broken link removed]
You do not have to take a credit note if your complaint is covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.

Getting back to the OP & her DD :D, the Sale of Goods Act deals with this. She is entitled to a full refund and does not have to take a credit note. The shoes are clearly faulty and she is entitled to choose to buy elsewhere.

Brinf them back & when they offer the credit note, politely refuse and say thay you would rather a full refund instead - shops often offer a credit note, knowing full well that the person does not have to accept it & generally will give it without quibble. If they refuse, quote the act.

Agreed. I always assumed DH was 'd'other half'
love it!!

Husband's aren't dumb. They're quite capable of talking, but don't like to interrupt.

Back