Can I divert a horizontal flue up a chimney to avoid plumes of steam?

beaky

Recently re-plumbed my house and got a condensing boiler. The flue exhausts directly behind the boiler, which is in an boiler house attached to the house and beside my patio. Major amounts of steam now plume around the patio and I'd love to know if I can divert the flue up an existing chimney in the boiler house.

Chimney was built with the house when the boiler was solid fuel and was also used for the previous oil boiler. It would only be a matter of putting in a verticle flue 2 feet up to the chimney which is right beside the boiler. Any one see any problems with this

Recently re-plumbed my house and got a condensing boiler. The flue exhausts directly behind the boiler, which is in an boiler house attached to the house and beside my patio. Major amounts of steam now plume around the patio and I'd love to know if I can divert the flue up an existing chimney in the boiler house.

Chimney was built with the house when the boiler was solid fuel and was also used for the previous oil boiler. It would only be a matter of putting in a verticle flue 2 feet up to the chimney which is right beside the boiler. Any one see any problems with this

2 questions

1. is the chimney still serving a fireplace etc inside the house??
2. is the chimney lined with a flue or is it simply open construction?

if answer to 1 is no, and 2 is yes.. then i can see no issues.....

you should get someone qualified to look at this. There are plume dispersal kits available for this and they take the condensate stream up and away.

you should get someone qualified to look at this. There are plume dispersal kits available for this and they take the condensate stream up and away.

Anywork done on a chimney, should really be done by a person that knows about this. Any bend extra you put in or diversion will effect your boiler's effeciency. As this will add extra resistence.

Ask the people that installed the boiler, it they do not know or you are not happy with the answer ask the supplier or manufacturer. Boilers come with a manual at commissining the engineer should have handed that to you and cone over the ins and outs of the boiler. The commissioning engineer will be able to help you with your inquiry. I hope you did get your boiler commissioned as this is important.

2 questions

1. is the chimney still serving a fireplace etc inside the house??
2. is the chimney lined with a flue or is it simply open construction?

if answer to 1 is no, and 2 is yes.. then i can see no issues.....

Chimney serves no other fireplaces, was built for antracite fueled boiler only. It is lined with a standard flue, looks like a clay pipe inside.

Unsure if a dispersal kit would do the job as the patio is surrounded on three sides by the walls of the dwelling/boiler house and the wind swirls down and around the patio.

Can I ask allaboutheat what do you mean by commissioned. The old boiler was removed and the new boiler plumbed into the new heating pipes and rads and the system balanced. Has been turned on for one week noe and is working away but house not occupied yet, not finished with other renovations. Is this "commissioned"?

No that is not is not commissioned, commissioned is that the boiler is properly set up, and is running to its effeciency, also you should have a print out of this (efficiency, o2, co, co2, fluegas temperature etc.) It is important that this is done or you brand new boiler will sooth up in no time at all. You need a commissioning engineer to do this as usually plumbers install the boiler and do not commission. The commissioning engineer also will advice you if the exhaust is not correct or what to do with the plume.

Beaky,
Yur best bet is to ring the boiler maker and they will advice. One golden rule I live by is Follow manufacturers instructions.

standard flues & flue liners cannot be used for condensing appliances!

the repeat the advice you have already been given, contact manufacturer or suppler for suitable advice on what flue liners are available and get a competent installer to fit and re-commission (comission!!) your boiler as allabouttheheat said, extra flue length and bends will add resistance to the flue gases exiting and if not addressed you may end up with a nicely sooted up boiler (who's warranty will be voided due to no commissioning paperwork!)

Thanks for all that advice. I will contact the manufacturer re best practice to minimise the plume and get an commissioning engineer to commission the boiler.

The commissioning engineer may be able to give you all that advice too, and once again did you get an manual. A condensing boiler is not an ordinary boiler and should not be treated as such. Good Luck.

Back