Can I combine the 8 Year roll-up tax on EFT's

nodo

I will have 5 or 6 ETF's due for the roll-up tax over the next few months. Rather than pay as they become due , I wonder if I can pay all before a certain date and avoid any penalties ( as can be done with Capital Gains Tax for example). Will be grateful if anyone can advise me. Thanks, Nodo

The tax is only due once a year in November not on the anniversary date of the purchase. The value on the anniversary date determines the amount of tax.

Thanks, jpd . That's exactly the answer I hoped for , pretty similar to CGT . Thanks for your information. nodo

Are you referring to the eight year gross roll up tax due on EU/Irish ETFs. I am about to purchase a few of these for the first time and I'm wondering how you go about paying the 41% tax. If you purchase them now in 2015 do you pay the 41% tax on the profits in November 2023 and then file the payment for the 2023 tax year (the following year) ?

Are you referring to the eight year gross roll up tax due on EU/Irish ETFs. I am about to purchase a few of these for the first time and I'm wondering how you go about paying the 41% tax. If you purchase them now in 2015 do you pay the 41% tax on the profits in November 2023 and then file the payment for the 2023 tax year (the following year) ?

Received from revenue directly:

You do not need to complete a Form 11 on each occasion that you have a deemed disposal, rather you will total all payments and/or all gains for the year of assessment and enter the relevant details at (a) – (f) of line 319 of Form 11 and submit the return and payment in the October following the year of assessment. See page 1 of Form 11 for further details in relation to filing/payment dates.

If, say, you commence purchasing ETFs on a monthly basis in June 2015, by the end of 2015 you will have 7 different ETFs. If you hold these investments for 8 years, you will return the total of the deemed disposals of the 7 ETFs on the various dates in 2023 in you tax return in 2024. And so on for subsequent purchases.

Thanks U 123
Revenue have made it clear that you file all of them on one form 11 but it doesn't seem to be clear to me whether you are liable for the 41% tax for each individual ETF on the exact day the eight years is up, or whether you can just tally them all up that year and pay them all in one lump sum similar to capital gains payments.

I dont think I follow. It says above that you total the gains on the various dates, and return them the next year. AFAIK you cant offset loses again gains if thats what you're wondering about...

So you add up all the gains on each date, take 41% of that and pay that?

You do not need to complete a Form 11 on each occasion that you have a deemed disposal, rather you will total all payments and/or all gains for the year of assessment and enter the relevant details at (a) – (f) of line 319 of Form 11

Sorry for the misunderstanding but isn't Revenue here just telling you how you go about filling out the form 11 which is done the following year, rather than telling you how you make the payments
So my question is If I purchase 1 EU UCITS ETF a month until the end of the year (I.e. In , , etc....), I become liable for the 41% tax in 8 years time.
Do I pay the 41% tax on exactly 8 years to the day that I purchased each ETF i.e. on the , , etc.... I.e. making a separate payment each month, or can I pay the whole lot for that tax year in one go.

Ah OK I get it. I'm not sure, perhaps you should email them and let us know?

I emailed them yesterday I have a contact in revenue who works specifically with ETF's. Will update soon....

This is an email back from my revenue ETF source ....

"If you hold the ETFs for 8 years you will be subject to the deemed disposal provisions. You do not need to complete a Form 11 on each 8th anniversary, rather you will total any gains from each ETF for the calendar year (2023 in your example) and enter the details at line 319 of Form 11 and submit the return and payment in the following October. You do not need a separate Form 11 for each ETF. If there is a loss in any of the ETFs, it is treated as a Nil gain and you cannot reduce any gains by such a loss. If you sell an ETF before you have held it for 8 years, then the deemed disposal provisions will not apply. When you sell an ETF or part of an ETF, you must calculate any gain arising and return it on Form 11 appropriate to the year of the sale."

So it seems in my earlier example and in the same example I gave to Revenue you total up all your gains in 2023 but you don't pay the 41% or file (form 11) until the following year!!!
So it appears in reality it is actually nine years from purchase before you pay and file.

Very useful info landlord , thank you, ( and your revenue source ).

If my (limited ) information is correct , treatment of non EEC domiciled ETF's are different , these seem now to be treated the same as shares --- no 8 year roll up, CGT payable on sale , losses allowed against any gains . As a downside , interest seems to be liable for 41% tax , plus USC and PRSI.

Thanks again for this information. Nodo.

Great info Landlord. Having re-read this thread I realise I am confused about a rather important point. Im a PAYE worker, and have never done a form 11 or self declared anything, so apologies if the following question is very stupid....but how do I actually pay the money to Revenue? AFAIK filling out the form 11 is just declaring it, but how does the money actually move from my bank account into Revenue's? Is it deducted from my tax credits in the following year or what?

I did say it was a silly question :)

Great info Landlord. Having re-read this thread I realise I am confused about a rather important point. Im a PAYE worker, and have never done a form 11 or self declared anything, so apologies if the following question is very stupid....but how do I actually pay the money to Revenue? AFAIK filling out the form 11 is just declaring it, but how does the money actually move from my bank account into Revenue's? Is it deducted from my tax credits in the following year or what?

I did say it was a silly question :)

This is an excellent question...I am also a PAYE worker however I use a form 11 due rental income. But I will be investing in my other halfs name who like you is a PAYE worker who has never filled out a form 11. I have recently registered her for ROS, for paying CGT and am wandering if this is a necessary step to eventually filing a form 11 for her. I am dreading filling out an entire form 11 (its v.v. long) just to declare exit tax relating to sale of ETFs!!! Will look into this soon !!

In terms of actually paying it there are 2 ways.
1. Through ROS you can use your debit card.
2. Through ROS you can set up your bank account details and instruct them to take the money out.

Last edited:
Very useful info landlord , thank you, ( and your revenue source ).

If my (limited ) information is correct , treatment of non EEC domiciled ETF's are different , these seem now to be treated the same as shares --- no 8 year roll up, CGT payable on sale , losses allowed against any gains . As a downside , interest seems to be liable for 41% tax , plus USC and PRSI.

Thanks again for this information. Nodo.

I think you might be getting confused....or I am misunderstanding your post...
Have a look at this thread I posted on the summary of the costs involved in investing on the stock market.
This was all new to me a few months ago too!!!

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/summary-of-stock-market-investment-costs.194304/#post-1433608

Last edited:
This is an excellent question...I am also a PAYE worker however I use a form 11 due rental income. But I will be investing in my other halfs name who like you is a PAYE worker who has never filled out a form 11. I have recently registered her for ROS, for paying CGT and am wandering if this is a necessary step to eventually filing a form 11 for her. I am dreading fill out an entire form 11 (its v.v. long) just to declare exit tax relating to sale of ETFs!!! Will look into this soon !!

In terms of actually paying it there are 2 ways.
1. Through ROS you can use your debit card.
2. Through ROS you can set up your bank account details and instruct them to take the money out.

Cool, thanks for that. It only dawned on me today about that!! Im not registered for ROS at the moment (I am for PAYE online), so will need to look into that.

"....When you sell an ETF or part of an ETF, you must calculate any gain arising and return it on Form 11 appropriate to the year of the sale."

Hi landlord,

Thanks for the helpful info around the payment of tax on ETFs. I disposed of some shares in an ETF a few months ago so am due to pay tax on the gain at 41% this year. However all of the forms on revenue.ie are related to 2014 still? I assume the forms will be updated closer to October. I wonder whether the whole form will need to be filled out or just section 318 (e) for the actual disposal. [On a side note I believe Section 408 (a) is more appropriate for deemed disposals after 8 years]

According to [broken link removed] on revenue.ie, returns are due by 31 July for any chargeable events between 1 January and 30 June..... yet there are no 2015 forms available online.

As clear as mud then!

Hi landlord,

Thanks for the helpful info around the payment of tax on ETFs. I disposed of some shares in an ETF a few months ago so am due to pay tax on the gain at 41% this year. However all of the forms on revenue.ie are related to 2014 still? I assume the forms will be updated closer to October. I wonder whether the whole form will need to be filled out or just section 318 (e) for the actual disposal. [On a side note I believe Section 408 (a) is more appropriate for deemed disposals after 8 years]

According to [broken link removed] on revenue.ie, returns are due by 31 July for any chargeable events between 1 January and 30 June..... yet there are no 2015 forms available online.

As clear as mud then!

Hi Joey,
Firstly I am assuming, because you re talking about 41% tax you must have disposed or partially disposed of EU domiciled (UCITS) ETFs?
This year all you need to do is tally up all your gains from disposal of all EU domiciled (UCITS) ETFs
Then next year you must BOTH pay and file via form 11.
The reason why all the forms on revenue are for 2014, is because you file the following year.
When you file next year (for the ETFs you sold this year) you will be looking for the 2015 form 11.

Actually sorry when re-reading your post again, when you said you disposed of some ETFs a few months ago were you referring to disposal before 1st Jan 2015?

Last edited:
Just thinking about this again............I dont entirely follow how you calculate tax when you actually physically sell the ETFs (not deemed disposal).

Very simple example - say you buy 100 units of a IWDA ETF in January 2016 and another 100 in June 2016. Say January batch cost E100 per unit while the June batch only cost E50 per unit, due to huge market drop. Lets say its now January 2017 and you decide to sell half of your position in the ETF (i.e. 100 units). You can sell the each unit at E200 as the price went through roof at end of 2016. What tax do you pay? You have sold at 100 units at E200 each = E20, 000 but how do you determine the price at which you bought the ETF units just sold, in order to calculate the tax due?

On my broker (Degiro), you cant seem to sell explicit units of ETF bought at a particular time (as far as I can see anyway). Rather, if you own the above 200 units, you say "sell 100 units out of my holding in IWDA" you dont say "I want to sell the 100 units of IWDA I bought on June 20th".

Hence, I'm not entirely sure I follow how you calculate the appropriate purchase price. This would make much more sense if you were selling physical shares with a certificate which had the purchase price stamped on them, and its clear when selling them how much they actually cost.

Here is sample screenshot from Degiro which shows the position in IWDA ETF. The number column is the total number of units you own in IWDA, independent of when you bought them:
IWDA Image.PNG

Back