Can I ask for a six month contract?

F

Fred Funk

I'm currently renting a house and the contract is due to be renewed in a few weeks. The Letting agency is looking for another yearly contract but here's the problem. I'm buying a new house and its due to be ready in December or January so I don't want to renew the contract for year and then break it when the new house is ready thus losing my deposit which is 1400 euro.

Is asking for six month contract normal? and what are they likely to say.
I would to here peoples opinions who were in similar situations going from renting to buying and their dealing with contracts.

Thanks.

As long as it doesn't end until 31st Jan they might be allow it.
If you want to move out from 1st december thru to January then they would almost certainly be looking at an empty property for 2 full months.

Fred Funk,

You should check with the Private Resendentail Tenacy board. Google them and you should get a phone number.

There are certain protections for tenants introduced by the PRTB a couple of years ago. There a re certian things like minimum notice of termination etc which are designed to protect the tenant more so than the landlord.

Just because you haev a contract for a year you should be able to leave before the end of the year once you give the required notice. What's in your lease for termination. I believe if it is less favourable(to you) than the requirements of the PRTB then it is not enforceable.

Check with the PRTB.

If my interpretation of the Residential Tenancies Act in regard to your situation is correct, then if your contract that you are currently on has been for more than 6 months then you should be entitled to stay for up to 4 years - i.e. you can't be kicked out, and that during that time you may leave if you give one month's notice and be entitled to your deposit back.

The Residential Tenancies Act gives significant power to the tenant.

Back