Can I apply for Exempted Development after being refused full permission?

farcra

Hi,

Hoping someone might be able to clarify if I can apply for Exempted Development after being refused full permission with DLRD CC for conversion of garage to the side of my house?

The original planning app was refused on the grounds that the parking spaces would create a "precedent and result in illegal/or inappropriate parking".

However, the house attached to us (semi-d) in the exact same position and layout has applied for and been granted an Exempted Development for the exact same conversion - I guess by leaving out any reference to parking!

In hindsight - we would have done the same and would have been granted!

Does anyone know if I can now do the same, even though we were refused - my only concern is that the exempted development application form asked you to mention any previous planning apps - which I guess I would have to mention??

Can we end up in a situation where our neighbors can go ahead with the conversion but we can't?

Thanks in advance!

I'm not that you can remove your rights to an exempted development . this may be an issue for a planning consultant to review - alternatively arrange a pre-planning consultation with the Local Authority to resolve this issue. Why did you apply for permission for an exempted development?
There is no such thing as an exempted development application. You can prepare a section 5 application seeking confirmation that a specific garage conversion is an exempted development.

Back