can estate agents make me pay

Sal92

I recently got rid of my estate agent and employed another. 1st company was very unprofessional and that is why I got rid of them. Today I get a bill of €300 for their advertising fees. I was told verbally by them that it was 'no sale no fee'. I signed nothing. I don't want to pay them this as they were very incompetent. No customer service whatsoever. As I didn't sign anything can they do anything to make me pay??
I have signed an agreement with my new EA to pay advertising if i pull out of the sale. Thats fine, as I have signed to do so. question is, can the first estate agents make me pay as I have signed nothing.

Simple answer- yes. Advertising costs are outlay they have paid on your behalf and are entitled to recoup. This is totally different to a fee.

how can they make me pay though if I have not signed anything. I had to sign that I would pay advertising to my new EA if sale aborts. I signed nothing with the old EA. Verbally I was told 'no sale no fee'. No mention of advertising costs.

However, you should ask for a copy af any adverts they are charging you for.

Yes they can make you pay. While you did not sign a contract you were in full knowledge that they were marketing your property on your behalf. You are therefore responsible for the marketing costs incurred on your behalf.

Pay the bill

ok, I need to reword the question. I take on board that I "should" pay. But if I don't, how can they make me.

A contract doesn't need to be in writing in order to be valid in these circumstances. So they can go to court and force you to pay.

I had the exact same issue as you (you can probably search for previous posts). I did not pay.

Not wishing to get into whether other people think I was right or wrong - just answering your question. Did not pay two invoices for advertising which was never mentioned to me, neither had I signed anything. That was about a year ago. Have heard nothing since. Absolutely shudder to think that if I had not stepped in and sold my property myself I would have missed the boat completely due to that absolute clown of an EA.

I am presuming he is not going bother trying to take me to court for such a small amount but if he did I have every e-mail sent between us. He never once mentioned advertising costs to me either in person or in writing.

ahhh thanks. Thats what I need to know. They do not deserve in any way to be paid. I will not go into it, but incompetent is not the word.If they come after me, i will take the chance.

If they incurred the costs on your behalf then you should pay. You can be taken to court for non-payment of these advertising fees.

You should also be aware that not paying advertising could serve to antagonise the situation. Please check your terms & conditions as detailed to you in writing at the start of the marketing campaign and see what happens in the event you change estate agents and sell to a purchaser who was introduced to you through them etc, etc.

thats the whole point!! i got absolutely nothing in writing!! no mention was ever made to me that I would have to pay advertising fees if the sale did not go through, These people were unprofessional to say the least. I was told uncategorically no sale no fee. No mention of advertising. nothing in writing.

OK, ok :D I guess "cowboy" would be a good description here. So long as you are aware of the consequences of your actions and the possible recovery of advertising fees through a debt collector/courts then I'm happy. :p

mmm sure i'll ignore invoice for a while and see how far they will take it. Cowboy is the right word. I know for deffo he lost me a sale due to his incompetency.

Back