Can ESB meter reader clamber over wall and ignore closed gates?

NOAH

We were at home yesterday having dinner in the pm, and we can see drive from window, when I looked out and saw a tall man walking up to house, we have closed gates but a fairly low wall at one side so he had clambered over, I could see he had that gadget they use for reading meters and watched as he came round side of house read meter and off. Not even an hello. I opened gates for his exit but was surprised. If others were about they could see his sneaky trick. Are the meter readers self employed and paid by results? And can they do this type of thing?

I have a post box at gate discretly tucked away. No buzzer. I thought they had a card system if house was not accessible. Of course he may have been making a point as well.

noah

They are allowed access to read the meter. So don't see what the issue is here.

It would be different if you had an intercom or a buzzer.

It may not be best practice to do what he did. He should have come through the gates.

Meter readers are self employed contractors. They are paid according to the number of meters that they read. If they miss a certain meter more than a few times they get stick about it and they must read it.

It is a bit cheeky, when there is someone in the house. On the other hand, if they cannot get access to your meter they will record an "Estimate Reading" based on your average usage. If the estimate is low, there would be an adjustment at the next actual reading and you could get a bit of a shock.

They are certainly put under pressure to get all meters read. Every meter must be read at least once a year by ESB staff.

From the ESB T&C's which you agree to when signing up..

"You must allow DSO authorised personnel, agents or contractors, at all reasonable times and at any time in an emergency, to enter any premises to which electricity is supplied for the purposes of reading, inspecting, deenergising (switching off the supply) or removing the meter or meters, and for all other purposes in connection with supplying electricity."

In fairness he was just doing his job. If he had given a big wave and smile would you still raise the issue?

What would happen if he injured himself clambering over the wall? Certainly doesn't sound like he was taking reasonable care of his own health and safety.

How high was the wall? Did he have to climb over it or just step over it. If it was just a low wall I wouldn't see what the problem is. However, if it was 5ft then I would be shocked

Back