Can employer deduct entire wages for paye

susie1

i've recently started a new job, 5wks in, i was hit with a tax bill and my entire wages were used to pay it off, nobody informed me until i came into work after the weekend. the attitude was, 'well its not my problem'. so here i am with no wages at all. how can this be legal.

money was due as my last job had me on a 3 day week, and i received jb for the other 3 days.

while i understand the money has to be paid back, should it not have been a week by week basis? revenue say they can't do anything now as the employer deducted the money, but that doesn't help me now, with bills mounting up. is there anything i can do?

tks

Your tax is a matter between you and the Revenue and is not your employer's concern other than to deduct and remit tax, PRSI and levies as per the instructions they receive on your annual tax credit certificate.

Are you on emergency tax / paying tax on a Week 1 basis? Have you requested an up-to-date tax credits certificate from revenue?

My understanding is that whilst jb is taxable ,jb for short time working is not.Does this have any bearing on your case ?

i believe all jb is taxable. When i was let go from previous job, i signed on for one week full time unemployed only.
Handed in p45 on commencement of new job. I didn't receive any updates re tax certs at all since the begining of the year. pay slip says cummulative.

i was on the short time for over a year if that makes any difference. revenue told me approx 600e was due back to them based on the jb i received.

Either you were on systematic short term JB which is not taxable (as previous poster has said) You should have some proof of this ie. dockets or bank records

or

on JB full weekly payments which are taxable (less 13 euros per week).
If this the case you should obtain a certificate of taxable JB. You can obtain this from SW for the relevant tax year. Send the cert on to revenue if you feel you have been over-taxed

Back