Wrong forum Can a tenant change electricity provider without permission

Status
Not open for further replies.

babaduck

My boss owns 3 apartments which he has just rented out & I get to do all the donkey work for him. The electricity a/c has been set up with the ESB & so far so good. I got a call from the ESB today telling me that one of the tenants has transferred the account to another provider.

Should they require permission from the landlord before they do this? I don't want to be heavyhanded, but I need to know before I talk to the tenant.

Thanks for your advice
Baba

If the tenant set up the ESB account and their name is on the bill then I would see no problem in switching. If the LLs name is on the account then I would think they would need consent to do this.

Is the account in the landlords or the tenants name.

If it's in the landlords name, they would need permission from the landlord, but if it's in the tenants name, it is up to them who they get their services from, and really it's none of the landlords business.

They should have let you know out of courtesy, though.

If the tenant pays the bill then so what.

As long as all bills are up to date then what does it matter who provides the leccy.

Tennat is probably trying to save a few bob, fair play to them.

If the bill is in the tenants name then I see no problem.

as long as the tenant is paying for the bills i see no reasons why they shouldn't choose the provider of their own choice ...
if the landlord doesn't wish the other company, will he pay the difference between the esb bill and what the tenant saves by switching to a different provider?

its only an issue if changes are required to existing infrastructure e.g. you should get permission before erecting a satelite dish - usually contained in the title deeds

hi, i own an apartment in a mixed development . a board gas guy visited and said i was the only one in my row who had not swithed over to them ( now that made me stay well clear of board gas even it they say they are cheeper ) .as he was leaving my door he made steps to a rented app' next door to me I said that one is rented he said it did not matter. he did a fair hard sale on me but i would not swithch over on the door step. he said there was no cantract or chang over fees or any thing to think about at all , he would even make the phone call to ESB F for me him self !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wanted to research it .
but when he said it did not matter that they were renting it just sounded greedy

so what i am saying the tennents in your case may have met my sales man and just got swept away with his charm and did not think of the land lord .

but when he said it did not matter that they were renting it just sounded greedy

so what i am saying the tennents in your case may have met my sales man and just got swept away with his charm and did not think of the land lord .

karen, as long as the tenants are the ones who are paying the bill and the bill is in their name, why should they even think of the landlord if he isn't the one forking out the money?
how many apartments do you know that landlords are paying the bills for instead of the tenants? if the tenant is the one paying the bill they have the right to decide which company they go with. esb, eircom, bt or any other provider do not pay money to the landlords to stay faithful to them so what's the incentive for the landlord and for the tenant?
when we switched to bt from eircom, yeah, it was much cheaper, the service was better and bt arranged the whole switch for us, we only had to confirm to eircom that we agree with the switch - so surely, these things happen.

karen, as long as the tenants are the ones who are paying the bill and the bill is in their name, why should they even think of the landlord if he isn't the one forking out the money?
how many apartments do you know that landlords are paying the bills for instead of the tenants? if the tenant is the one paying the bill they have the right to decide which company they go with. esb, eircom, bt or any other provider do not pay money to the landlords to stay faithful to them so what's the incentive for the landlord and for the tenant?
when we switched to bt from eircom, yeah, it was much cheaper, the service was better and bt arranged the whole switch for us, we only had to confirm to eircom that we agree with the switch - so surely, these things happen.

I agree.

Don't understand the greedy bit. Looks to me like a guy trying his best to earn a living.

Hows the job with ESB karen :)

Guy is trying to make a sale do his job we all gotta work. Greedy?

If you are happy to pay more for your leccy work away.

hello,
a few points ,
its far from the ESB that i work for.
nor am i friends with any esb staff i dont think so anyhow.
greedy might not be a great word.
yes the man has to make a living and may well have targets to meet of customers to change over to gas power.

it was the way he sold it to me that made me think that some people may very well just go ahead and sign up and change provider with out even thinking of contacting a land lord. its a mark of respect to any person who owns a place that a tennent would just simply make contact and if not ask but inform. But when its a chance of reduced cost that may have been a push factor.

i dont know i just put forward a suggestion.

I still don't see how its any of the landlords business.

Should tenant also ring to change from brannans to pat the baker.

Tenant pays for leccy it makes 100% no difference to the landlord or property, the only effect is to the tenants pocket.

If the tenant moves out the landlord can move back to the more expensive provider next day.

If making a change to the property fair enough, this is not a change to the property same wires same plugs same electricity no contract period simple.

+1. None of the landlord's business at all. If the tenant is changing the service provider to a cheaper alternative, they're doing the landlord a favour in fact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back