Can a retailer charge for taking away an old fridge?

daveinchcape

My neighbour bought a new fridge.
It is virtually the same as the old one.
The retailer agreed to collect/dispose of the old one but charged €40 to do so.

What is the law here ?
Is the retailer entitled to do what was done here or were they doing it previously as part of customer service ?

Were they delivering the new one? If so they just take the old one away.....once its disconnected and empty.
Are you sure the delivery of the new one wasnt €40? Which is normally the case.

The €40 is a Currys installation charge to install the new fridge.
And it includes removal of old machine.
It's on their website.

The retailer delivered the new one and took away the old one in one go.
There was no installation charge made or installation work done by the delivery people.
[BTW it was not Currys]

As far as I know under WEEE regulations the retailer is obliged to take back appliances on a like for like basis.
I don't think that they're obliged to collect them though so are probably entitled to charge for that service.

Edit: OK - I was mistaken...

What if I want something delivered to my home?​

• If you are having something delivered to your home, you can have the old item collected at the same time for no extra cost on the same one-for-one, like-for-like basis.
  • The retailer cannot charge for collecting the waste equipment (although they can charge a delivery fee for the new item).

The retailer is entitled to charge for delivery of the new fridge. But not for collection on a one-by-one basis would be my reading of this as it relates to 'distance sellers':

All distance sellers and distributors must do the following:
  • Register any premises in Ireland with the local authority or with one of the compliance schemes: WEEE Ireland or ERP Ireland. This is not applicable if you are only distance selling and do not have a premises in Ireland
  • Take back WEEE and waste batteries free of charge from customers
  • Display certain information (for example on your website or catalogue) about taking back WEEE and/or waste batteries
  • Ensure that WEEE and batteries can be returned to a nominated address in Ireland, if the distance seller has no business address here

And by way of comparison, this is the Amazon.co.uk process for picking up WEEE recycling from Irish customers, which appears to be free:

If you've ordered electrical or electronic equipment falling under the WEEE legislation from Amazon for delivery to an Irish address, you may send your old device or equipment to a recycling centre where it'll be treated and recycled in an environmentally friendly manner. You can start by requesting collection of your old WEEE with Anpost and Landbell Group by visiting the following page:

The retailer delivered the new one and took away the old one in one go.
There was no installation charge made or installation work done by the delivery people.
[BTW it was not Currys]
Why not clarify who it WAS so that people can make a more informed comment?
In any case the info and links posted above clarify the situation.

Back