Can a person with rental or investment income over 7500 euro per year qualify for 65s benefit ?

S class

No.

However they could qualify for Jobseekers benefit at age 65.

Basically the subsidiary employment rules for Jobseekers benefit are different to those for 65s benefit.

Employment 1. PAYE employment
Employment 2. Rental or investment income over 7000 euro per year.

To qualify under Jobseekers benefit rules, both employments must have run concurrently for at least 6 months and you must cease one immediately prior to making your claim.

Employment 2. must have existed for a minimum of 117 weeks.

You then take up Employment 1. for a minimum of 6 months and then cease this employment and claim Jobseekers benefit.

Depending on your class A Prsi record you are entitled to either 6 or 9 months Jobseekers benefit.
Say you are entitled to 6 months. You can cease Employment 1 and make your claim slightly under 6 months from your 65th birthday. By doing this you ensure that you are a Jobseekers claimer on your 65th birthday.

Anybody who is a Jobseekers benefit claimer on their 65th birthday automatically get to keep their Jobseekers benefit up to age 66 and this is paid at the maximum rate.
This is exactly the same as 65s benefit.

You might not qualify for the maximum rate of Jobseekers benefit for the initial 6 months up to age 65, as this depends of your PAYE earnings in your governing year. If your PAYE earnings are zero, or below a certain amount, you would only qualify for minimum JB rate. This is approximately 100 euro per week

In order to qualify you must ensure that you have a minimum of 39 class A credits in your governing year. This is two full years before the year of your claim. If your claim is made in the year you reach age 64 this will be the calender year your 62nd birthday.

QuoteReply

Last edited:
I am 64 and will be 65 at the end of March this year.
I have worked since age 17 until Feb 2022 so now just have to sort out next 14 months until I reach 66.
Awarded 39 weeks of job seekers benefit from Feb 2022 & claimed 29 weeks (until Aug 2022).
Claim transferred to Illness benefit from Aug 2022 to date.
Illness benefit will expire in Aug 2024 (7 months before I am 66).

I have rental income in excess of €7000 & this has existed for more than 117 weeks.
I would like to apply for BP65 at the end of March.
I have 39 paid contributions in 2021 to cover GCY requirement.
However the rental income appears to disqualify me from BP65.

As less than 2 years have passed since I transferred from job seekers to illness benefit, it seems possible to link my claims & go back to Job Seekers benefit.
I have 10 weeks Job Seekers awarded but unclaimed from my previous claim.

There are less than 10 weeks until I am 65.
If I was to go this route, I would be on Job Seekers when I am 65 & would hope to be left on it until I am 66.
I see a note on various stipulations on previous claims but have no visibility to them.

Thanks for any comments.

If you manage to be a Jobseeker on the day of your 65th birthday you will be okay.
You should contact DSP and ask them if you would be automatically changed to JB if your IB expired during your 65th year. If you were it would save you the hassle of trying to convert back to JB.

Subsidiary employment rules JB and BP65 comparison.

Attachments

• subsidary employment rules (highlighted).pdf
    308 KB · Views: 42
Back