can a cheque from an irish bank account be cashed in Australia

D

dens

As the title states i want to send a euro cheque drawn on an irish bank account to someone in Australia.can they just lodge it to their account and will it cost them money

I'm 99% sure the cheque won't work.
I would be leary of posting a draft. Loss, theft etc.
How about an on-line transfer...cost me about €12
Or just go into your branch and arrange a transfer face to face...cost me 0.75 cents.

I used to send Sterling drafts home to my Irish bank account and never got charged. If I sent a Euro cheque to my Sterling account, I did get charged.

Ask the reciever to check with their bank, its the only way to know for sure.

The Australian bank may accept the cheque but it would take some weeks for it to clear and they more then likely would charge for it.

I sent an Irish cheque to my daughter in the UK an none of the banks would acceptable it. I had to do and electronic transfer.

I dont understand why it would not be cashed
What is the difference from cashing a UK or US cheque in Ireland?

I agree it may take some time to be processed through a clearing system and they definitely would charge but I have done similar in Australia probably a few years ago with no problems..

If the situation was reversed, ie lodging an Australian cheque to an Irish bank account then the cheque would be sent on a collection basis - the Irish bank sends the cheque to the australian bank and asks for payment to be sent electronically. the Irish bank would normally charge a minimum fee for this service. This procedure can take a number of weeks depending on how quickly the paying bank responds. I would assume that similar arrangements may exist in Australia.

I sent an Irish cheque to my daughter in the UK an none of the banks would acceptable it. I had to do and electronic transfer.

I used to cash Euro cheques in the UK all the time. What bank did your daughter use, because thats crazy.

sorry off the subject slightly, my daughter tried to used her own account in the Nationwide UK and she tried a few others. Irish banks will take a UK cheque OK but not the other way in my experience, which bank did you use?

Back