Campsite recommendation in Vendee

Fubar

Hi,

I am currently in the process of booking a holiday to the Vendee region of France for July 2007 and I would welcome any recommendations for campsites in the areas of St Jean De Mont, St Hilaire De Riez or St Gilles Croix De Vie.
The travelling party will consist of 2 adults and 3 kids, ages 8,5 & 3 so the campsite would need to be geared accordingly but I would also like it to be close to beaches and towns as the intention is to use bikes as much as possible.
This will be our second time going to France but my first time booking directly. This year we were in Le Grande Metarie in Carnac (booked with Campotel) and had a fantastic time but want to travel down further next year.

I agree. We had a fantastic time there. Only reason we are going to Vendee next year is that my wife's sister and family have a house in St Gilles and we are going at the same time so want to be a little closer to them.

You could try getting Vendee campsite names from the Campotel/Kelair (or other) brochure and finding them on the web, e.g. Les Genets (4 star):
[broken link removed]
Booking directly with campsites, as opposed to via Irl/UK agents, tends to be cheaper. BTW, Kelair also rent their mobiles on an "accommodation only" basis..... might be worth a try. Book the ferry yourself (Irish Ferries tend to be the cheapest) and use Cornmarket for the cheapest personal/car breakdown insurance, if you want it. Enjoy.

We booked direct with the Le Clarys Plage campsite last year which is approx 5 miles from St jean de monts, and we enjoyed it. Our 3 kids ranged in age from 14 to 9 and they were kept amused. There's a good super U (supermarket) approx 2 to 3 minute walk from the campsite and a good beach less than a 10 minute walk. We were there for the last 2 weeks in july so it was pretty busy. Hope this helps !

A little bit further south just 30 miles south of La Rochelle in La Palmyre, we stayed at a fantastic site last year called Bonne Anse Plage. We booked direct with the camp site and stayed in their Cottage Atlantique. Plenty to do at the camp site and neighbouring villages/towns. Fantastic beach about 5 min bike ride away

Thanks for the replys. I will certainly be looking into all the recommendations mentioned. Other sites that have been mentioned to me are Les Genets in St Jean De Monts and La Plage in St Hillaire se Riez.

Hi
We booked Les Genets for July 2007 through Quest-en-France - Thought it easier to go through an agent rather than direct with camp-site. Going with Britanny Ferries and back with Irish Ferries. Britanny supposed to be much better but dates disn't suit for both legs of journey. As this will be our first trip abroad with our kids 7, 6 and 3 I don't have any experience of camp-sites in the vendee- they all look fab - but believe me Mr part-timer spent hours on internet researching and this is the one we decided on. Would have gone to Acapulco, zagarella or loads of other ones also! Just take a leap of faith and pick one! You'll read both good and bad reviews on all of them.

Back