Camera Help!! Which one to go for??

marty004

Hi Folks,

Can any camera experts out there help me decide which camera to purchase:
  • FujiFilm FinePix HS20 EXR (€369.95) OR
  • Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 (€355.95) OR
  • Nikon Coolpix L120 (€199)
If you can recommend anything better than these for around the same price let me know also.

My minimum requirements are excellent picture(>14MP), optical zoom and video quality.

Please click the following link to see the three I have narrowed down to?

http://www.dpreview.com/products/co...fz100&products=nikon_cpl120&sortDir=ascending

I have no real knowledge about these type of Cameras but want a half decent one (circa €300 spend) to take great pictures and videos of my family.

Let me know which one to go for!

Marty.

Recommend this compact camera, Canon, 14x Optical zoom
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS - black

I'm a photographer, my point & shoot is the Lumix. Recommend that well over the Canon SX230, which I considered also. Photos from the Lumix are better which is why I got it....the Leica lens is the clincher. Full HD video also with full optical zoom, which makes it as good as a camcorder IMO, and I use it for that more than photos!

They're all good cameras - try comparing them on for a clearer idea of how each performs.

But before you settle, go into a camera shop and actually handle them.

I disagree entirely. The salesperson is paid to stand there all day anyway. The OP might choose not to buy the camera in that store, but return (if they receive good service/helpful advice) for future purchases of, say, accessories on which the savings aren't so significant as to warrant buying online. I bought my last camera online, but went back to the local shop for a bag and a tripod, even though I could have saved a few euro somewhere like Amazon.co.uk.

If handling/trying out goods in a retail shop were considered a waste of the salesperson's time, most shops would go out of business. Handing over €300 or €400 for a camera you haven't held in your hands is asking for disappointment later.

Some camera shops will match the online price to get a sale. John Gunn in Wexford St for example.

I disagree entirely. The salesperson is paid to stand there all day anyway. The OP might choose not to buy the camera in that store, but return (if they receive good service/helpful advice) for future purchases of, say, accessories on which the savings aren't so significant as to warrant buying online. I bought my last camera online, but went back to the local shop for a bag and a tripod, even though I could have saved a few euro somewhere like Amazon.co.uk.

If handling/trying out goods in a retail shop were considered a waste of the salesperson's time, most shops would go out of business. Handing over €300 or €400 for a camera you haven't held in your hands is asking for disappointment later.

you want advice and first hand experience so you go to a shop who has to pay for premises and also allow his stock to be used for display, hence making his margins much higher than the online retailer who never has to meet you and most likely won't have to deal with you down the line if the camera needs repair.
People treating shops as there testing centres is more likely to close businesses than anything else.

Sale people are paid to make sales, and while you are testing a camera on his time before returning to your website deal, the salesperson has missed a real opportunity or a phone call etc.

you want advice and first hand experience...
No, I suggested the OP rely on his own research, but ask to handle the camera in a store before deciding which model to choose, as "feel" is an important factor in choosing between otherwise quite similar models.

I didn't actually make any recommendation as to where he should buy the camera.

Back