Call outs and no-shows

wheeler

This is just a rant.

I had an appointment with a company this morning. They were to call to my house to measure for a carpet fitting between 9 and 1 today. I specifically mentioned that the earlier they could call the better it would be for me and made it very clear that taking time off was not just a matter of course.

No-one called early so I followed up at 11 to at least ensure that someone was still calling. I got a call back at 12.20 to tell me that it would be this afternoon before anyone would call.

Excuse: the driver had two jobs this morning, one big and one small and mine was the smaller job. The big job was not yet finished.

Apology: No

Reschedule: I was then told that I would get a call this afternoon when the driver was ready to call over. I wasn't even asked if that was ok. I replied that this afternoon wouldn't suit as I had to go back to work. Still no apology. I was then asked which other day would suit. To which I replied that I was cancelling the entire thing as there were other companies out there to deal with.

Note: I had the carpet I was buying picked - all that had to happen was the measuring, price quote, existing carpet removal and then fitting. This was a done deal just waiting for execution. Price estimation - all in 1,500 euros.

Conclusion: even still there are companies who just don't get service, follow up and punctuality. I am reasonable - if there had been even a hint of understanding that I had been put out then I would have rescheduled.

You're right to pull the plug. If they can't get their act together at measuring stage one would have to wonder how fitting would work out.

A call yesterday to confirm situation would have sorted the situation and apology should have been forthcoming immediately.

Maybe it's just me being paranoid, but does this "no-show" happen to women more than men? I'm of the opinion that there are still quite a number of tradesmen out there who think that women have nothing better to do than wait in all day for them to show up.

I have come across this scenario on a number of occasions and it drives me nuts!

If you can, find out the name of the managing director of the company and write to him personally setting out what happened.

It might not do you any good at this stage, but should help others to avoid the same hassle and expense.

This is typical of the low standards of service and quality that were and still are typical from Irish retailers and tradespeople. Good service and quality is the exception in this country.

We are among the highest users of mobile phones in Europe and yet your serviceman/carpet fitter etc cannot give you a call or text to say he has been delayed, because he has not been instructed to do so by his boss. More and more sloppy practices from the top down.

It drives me mad

I have 2 reputable people whom I can call.

An electrician and a plumber. Both will tell me when then expect to arrive. And they arrive within 10 minutes or less of estimated time. I don't care if they are more expensive or not than others. They arrive!

Others who tell me they will call and fail to do so, do not receive a second call to confirm.

Marion

I agree, when somebody employs you, accurate arrival times should be of the essence. Furthermore, if these times cannot be met the client must be informed in advance as much as possible. These are essential traits for any businessman.

But, how often do tradesmen call at appointed times only to be informed:- "Now is not convenient, sorry . . ." This happens too and is costly to the tradesman.

I'm not offering this as an excuse but instances are fairly common. Also, it is difficult to receive payment after the job is finished "My husband will send you the cheque . . ." Then you receive the phone call "How much less do you want to be paid?" "Quantify your charges" - wait for it . . . "What's your PPS number?" or the classic "You'll be paid at the end of next month, just like all my bills."

My advice (for all its worth) is that when a job is completed properly, pay the agreed price. Get your receipt. If the tradesman was good employ him/her again. If the tradesman did a 'half-effort' then dont pay and dont re-employ.

Back