Home Calculate years claim free from what date?

serotoninsid

Hi. A small query. My home insurance is coming up for renewal. I had to claim due to water damage in '09. I *think* the initial claim went in just days before I renewed with that insurance company.

When asked by other companies, how many years claim free have I been, do I calculate this from the day the claim was first registered with them - or when it was settled?? Could be the difference between saying 2 years claims free and 3 years claims free...

I would be happy to go with the date that you made the claim on. I would consider it to be both morally and legally correct.

I would suggest you calculate backward to the incident date from the date you make your proposal to the new insurer. You make your proposal today, May 2nd. 2012 to the incident date. You might be confusing the date of the incident with the registering date or settlement date of the claim. The incident date that gave rise to a legitimate claim is what I would consider the correct date to use.

you might be confusing the date of the incident with the registering date or settlement date of the claim. The incident date that gave rise to a legitimate claim is what I would consider the correct date to use.
The claim went in right in the last days of the existing policy. It was not all sorted and settled until a few months into the subsequent policy. Which is the valid date for my purposes? i.e. years claim free?

The claim went in right in the last days of the existing policy. It was not all sorted and settled until a few months into the subsequent policy. Which is the valid date for my purposes? i.e. years claim free?

Calculate the yrs from the date of the incident to presumably the current date. Ignore the settlement date. I.e. I have an accident on 1 Jan 2010, policy due in Feb 2010, claim settled May 2010. In Feb 2012 I have 2 yrs claims free.

The settlement date is not relevant. I would agree that the date of the incident would be the relevant date. I earlier suggested that the date you claimed on could be used as I understood that this would give you the 3 years NC'S period. Do you know the date the incident happened which gave rise to the claim. Do you know when you made the claim. I believe if either or both are more than 3 years old you can declare that you are 3 years claim free. The settlement date has nothing to do with your declaration of being 3 years claim free.

Back