Buying Prize Bonds online with a Debit Mastercard (N26)

1dave123

Hi - has anyone successfully bought prize bonds online using a debit mastercard in the last month or so.

I have been trying for a few weeks now without success - I get a message that says "Sorry this card type is not supported"

It is an N26 Debit Mastercard. Up until recently I used this same card to buy prize bonds no problem . I contacted the Prize Bonds Team in October to see what the issue might be - they never replied.

The card works fine on every other site - it's just the prize bond purchase site that has an issue with it.

Before I contact the Prize Bond Team again it would be good to know if anyone else is having similar issues.

Thank you.

Hi - has anyone successfully bought prize bonds online using a debit mastercard in the last month or so.

I have been trying for a few weeks now without success - I get a message that says "Sorry this card type is not supported"

It is an N26 Debit Mastercard. Up until recently I used this same card to buy prize bonds no problem . I contacted the Prize Bonds Team in October to see what the issue might be - they never replied.

The card works fine on every other site - it's just the prize bond purchase site that has an issue with it.

Before I contact the Prize Bond Team again it would be good to know if anyone else is having similar issues.

Thank you.
Hi @1dave123 I am also in the exact same boat as I use N26 for my current account. I also emailed them at the time and didn't get a reply. So please let me know how you get on.

The transaction may have been rejected because the Prize Bond online purchase system doesn't support that card issuer - N26. The card type (debit) or scheme VISA/Mastercard doesnt matter. For example, an AIB debit card can be supported, an N26 debit card might not be.

Without knowing the error code details returned its also possible that N26 rejected the transaction. If you can, try a card from a different issuer (AIB/BOI/PTSB)

The transaction may have been rejected because the Prize Bond online purchase system doesn't support that card issuer - N26. The card type (debit) or scheme VISA/Mastercard doesnt matter. For example, an AIB debit card can be supported, an N26 debit card might not be.

Without knowing the error code details returned its also possible that N26 rejected the transaction. If you can, try a card from a different issuer (AIB/BOI/PTSB)
I think the issue is that it always used to work fine via an N26 Debit Mastercard, but since October it has stopped working so something must have changed.

I think the issue is that it always used to work fine via an N26 Debit Mastercard, but since October it has stopped working so something must have changed.
correct, but it could have changed at N26 or at Prize Bonds. Have you contacted n26 to see what they have to say?

I think if it's over a certain amount the payment won't go from your bank account. I had this problem before too and had to get a bank draft.

Thank you for the replies. I spoke to the Prize Bond Team.

1. They accept there is a systems issue on their side.
2. It seems some other card types have been affected also - not just N26.
3. They don't know the root cause but they are taking steps to update their systems to allow N26 payments again. It may take a few weeks though. January most likely.

Folks just an update, I just purchased some prize bonds using my N26 Debit Mastercard so hopefully the issue appears to be resolved.

The limits on AIB Debit Cards are stupidly low. There is both a daily limit and an inner transaction limit. As far as I remember these are €7,100 and €5,000 respectively. So if you are trying to purchase more than €5,000 you need to split it into daily chunks of €5,000 or get a bank draft and apply using a paper form.

Back