Buying platinum wedding rings over internet

S

sonic

I'm getting married shortly and we've just been quoted 950euros and 450euros for two very plain platinum wedding rings by a Dublin jeweller. A quick look on the internet found what look like identical rings for 1/3 the price!! The internet rings are 95% platinum and 5% something like rhotidium (??). Is it normal for there to be an additional metal added? And has anyone bought jewellery over the internet & if so any advice? The site is http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/platinum_wedding_bands.html

Thanks a mill.

sonic said:
The internet rings are 95% platinum and 5% something like rhotidium (??).
What happens if the internet rings arrive to you as 95% rhotidium (whatever that is) and 5% platinum? What kind of come-back will you have?

Hi Sonic, if you look at the market price of gold and compare it to weight content of rings from Irish jewellers, you will see that gram to gram there is about a 700% mark-up.

The design and workmanship in basic wedding bands is minimal. There is no reason why you shouldn't get them at cheaper prices than Irish high street prices.

In relation to your original question, I don't know of anyone who has bought over the internet, but at those prices it's well worth making more inquiries.

Hello Sonic
We just got our platinum wedding bands last Saturday from a goldsmith working from his own workshop. The prices we were quoted for the same rings in a well known jewellers were nearly twice what he was able to quote us. So maybe you should shop around locally and see what you can get?

I bought mine last year in Newry, after going to all the shops in Dublin. The price and the service was outstanding. Jeweller was Jack Murphy, High Street, Newry.

Back