Buying painting from UK in ROI

CocoSparrow

I am looking to buy a painting from a UK artist as a present. Totally confused on custom duties and VAT implications. Think there is no customs duty as it should be country of origin UK? Should the gallery in UK sell it to me ex UK Vat? And then what is the rate of VAT here, I think it is 13.5% but cannot find a clear source. Anyone gone through this and know what the charges are? The painting is 1100 sterling with 140 sterling to get a courier.

There are no customs duties.

The courier will charge you VAT on the price + courier.

The correct VAT is 13.5% but couriers default to 23% so you will need to tell them that the right rate is 13.5%.

I am not sure about the UK VAT. I think that they should not charge it, but if they are not used to exporting, they won't know that.

Brendan

There are no customs duties.

The courier will charge you VAT on the price + courier.

The correct VAT is 13.5% but couriers default to 23% so you will need to tell them that the right rate is 13.5%.

I am not sure about the UK VAT. I think that they should not charge it, but if they are not used to exporting, they won't know that.

Brendan
Thanks Brendan Was hard to get the details so this is great Just didn’t want to get burnt Great advice on the VAT rate and letting the courier know Thanks

Don’t forget about the artist’s resale rights and the potentially thorny issue of who should foot the bill

I am looking to buy a painting from a UK artist as a present.

As he is buying it directly from a UK artist it is not a resale so the issue does not arise.

It might arise when he sells it in the future, but as it's a very small percentage, he can worry about it then.

Brendan

Back