Buying over the Metrolink line

teacharfail

Hi there
I am close to going sale agreed on a house that is directly over the proposed Metrolink line (the underground section).
If it is approved and goes ahead, there will be obvious noise pollution as the bore passes under the house during construction. But I could not rule out for certain that there would not be a low level of operational noise once the Metrolink becomes operational (in 10 years!). All of the engineering reports say that it won't be significant, particularly in an already urban/noisy environment. But I want to give it full consideration before taking the plunge.
I am trying to weigh the benefits (near a metro stop; good location; house I like) with the *potential* drawbacks in the future.
I'd appreciate some thoughts!

Discussed extensively in the Metrolink thread on boards.ie a couple of days ago, including some responses that appeared to be quite knowledgeable. Might be worth a read if you haven’t already done so, starting with this post

I once stayed in a place over the Paris Metro and you could hear noise/vibrations from the trains late at night. It all depends on how fussed you are, living beside a main road would be worse.

directly over
How deep will the bore be under the house?

In any case I would say it will be operational no sooner than 2035, with a high probability of delay and a non-zero probability of it neve happening at all.

I once stayed in a place over the Paris Metro and you could hear noise/vibrations from the trains late at night. It all depends on how fussed you are, living beside a main road would be worse.
This could have been built in the 1880s 5m below street level! Metrolink will not be like this.

Hi there
I am close to going sale agreed on a house that is directly over the proposed Metrolink line (the underground section).
If it is approved and goes ahead, there will be obvious noise pollution as the bore passes under the house during construction. But I could not rule out for certain that there would not be a low level of operational noise once the Metrolink becomes operational (in 10 years!). All of the engineering reports say that it won't be significant, particularly in an already urban/noisy environment. But I want to give it full consideration before taking the plunge.
I am trying to weigh the benefits (near a metro stop; good location; house I like) with the *potential* drawbacks in the future.
I'd appreciate some thoughts!
Doubtful. There was one estate in Marino that had minor issues during the port tunnel build (Annadale) but nothing since then from anybody.

Back