Key Post Buying on net from US sites,tax?,duty?

ClubMan!

I hope you are not suggesting that we are importing drugs! :eek

Marion :hat

In case you are wondering what duty you may be liable for, check here;

I hope you are not suggesting that we are importing drugs!

I am not suggesting anything underhand on the part of any AAM contributor. However I presume that "contraband" would include otherwise legitimate items purchased online which are not properly declared for tax/duties etc.?

Some relief exits:

[broken link removed]

Customs Duties
Customs duty is payable on goods imported into Ireland from outside the EU. The actual rate of duty depends on
the nature of the goods. VAT is also payable on imported goods at whatever rate would apply to their supply in
Ireland. Customs duty payable is included in the value of the goods for VAT purposes.

There are two exceptions to this general rule:
Consignments of a value not exceeding €45 or £36 which are sent as gifts from private individuals for the exclusive personal/family use of the recipient. Such consignments are admitted free of customs duty and VAT.

Packages with a value not exceeding €22 or £18, regardless of their commercial status.These packages can be admitted free of customs duty and VAT. This relief is known as the "De Minimis Relief" or more commonly as the "small packages" relief.

In addition, customs Regulations provide for the waiving of customs duty of less than €10 or £8 on goods contained in one consignment or parcel.

Marion :hat

Thanks for posting that link Ocras, but am more confused than ever!

I want to buy an MP3 player from the US, and using that link you gave Ocras, I am coming up with anywhere from 0% to 14% customs duty for only tiny changes in definition. Of course it would make far too much sense to actually use the term MP3 player...instead I have to wade through myriad definitions of 'portable magnetic/digital players without in-built recording method running off internal power source' etc. etc....

'portable magnetic/digital players without in-built recording method running off internal power source'

Many MP3 players have built-in recording capabilities so you might need yet another arcane description! ;)

euroDilbert (and others), thank you from the bottom of my heart for complaining.

I complained to the from postal service to my senator about them (GLS) and last month I hit them with a "interfearing in the delivery of postal goods" complaint to the Postal Inspectors, which one would not believe it, actualy started investigating.

Now I can dump Fedex and go back to Global Express Mail which is cheaper and way more convient for my senders.

Unfortunatly there is no news about this on usps.gov or in the service manual, so we hope that this will become "public" next week in the US than.

Because I just had to know I contacted the USPS and here the answer:

brainlessareus, thank you for visiting the USPS website regarding GLS no longer delivering our Global Express Mail and Airmail packages in Ireland.

Yes, it is true that GLS will no longer deliver our packages in Ireland if the packages were mailed to Ireland after 12/27/04.

If the packages were sent to Ireland before 12/27/04, then GLS would still deliver those items. Future shipments of packages will be delivered to you by your local postal service in Ireland.

If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact us. Thank you for using the United States Postal Service.

XXXXXX

The USPS just got my weekly business back and I will save a lot of money.

back to tax. An Post might be better than gls ( ok - are better than gls) but if the customs stick a charge on a parcel/packet then the post office stick on another €5 , I assume for the trouble of collecting the customs money and your friendly postie will still want the duty before handing over the goods.

Well accoding to the rules you only need to declare the wholesale value of the goods received (at least that is what I got told by Revenue when I called them).

However if you do that you need to make sure that any invoice in the parcel shows that value and not the full price.

Legaly customs could open the goods and see if the value written on the green label matches any invoice enclosed.

And if the value is higher than previously noted than an invoice is a must.

A way arround that is to use a mail forwarding service in the US that repacks for you and encloses a wholesale value invoice.

Now don't try to declare that 1500$ electronic gadget for 10$ but if the manufactor only charges 500$ to the reseller, than 500$ is in order.

I got charges 23.34 euro duty on 2 vinyl records worth $54 shipped from USA. I thought that was a bit steep? On top of that there was $39 postage by DHL.

the import limit is tiny, it's in the region of €22. The fee you were charged would be duty plus a handling/collection charge, if they arrived by post this goes to An Post. The only way around this for small items is to pay for each to be shipped separately, you pay double postage but not necessarily the duty

I got charges 23.34 euro duty on 2 vinyl records worth $54 shipped from USA. I thought that was a bit steep? On top of that there was $39 postage by DHL.

Duty charges get applied to the total cost (value of goods plus shipping).

Back