Buying Laptop!

Rainbow08

I am looking at buying a basic laptop but a good value for money,Will mainly use for internet browsing,college work and thats basically it.
Have to being to about ten shops and am totally confused.was looking at several different brands of laptops,prices vary and am afraid if I buy one too cheap it will go bust or too dear it will be bad value. Will also watch the occasional movie and also want something that is lightweight when I travel. Appreciate any advice. Thank You.

A netbook would probably suit you grand, cost approx €300, 10" screen so should be light and handy enough to carry around. Get a good brand like Toshiba or HP etc.

Not sure about streaming a film with this unless you had a fixed line broadband connection.

A good Laptop can be had for around €450

check out who often have a good deal.

Have you looked at buying an IPad?

I would second this because i have an iPad and use it for all college work, assignments, browsing, photography, design, note taking etc. Just pop it in my bag and it is soooooo much easier than bringing my laptop.

BUT

Look at the cost. To make the most use of it as a student you will need 3g. I was undecided as to whether to get 3g or not but it was totally worth it. So taking this into consideration the cheapest would be 600euro.

As much as I hate netbooks and love iPads I think a netbook would win out in a situation like this.

DID Electric have these @ €389 - free delivery.
I have one of them & find them excellent.

E MACHINE LAPTOP 160GB

Model Code: E627
  • AMD Athlon Processor TF20
  • 15.6" display
  • 1GB Memory
  • 160GB Hard Drive

Aldi were doing one on Sunday- €600 thats with a 3yr warranty which IMHO is very important with laptops as most hardware failures are expsenive to sort on laptops.

Good spec machine too

Have you looked at buying an IPad?
+1 I believe it is worthy of serious consideration in educational settings as a possible means of reducing the volume of hard-copy materials AND the need for a lap-top / netbook.

For college work, I'd recommend something with a proper full-size keyboard, as I presume you will be doing a _lot_ of typing. That certainly counts the iPad out, and probably most netbooks as well (some of them have sizeable keyboards, and hopefully you have small hands!)

And make sure you figure out a backup strategy too...

Maybe it's me but I think a combination of an iPad and note taking is not ideal.

We bought a netbook for the kids last month in Harvey Normans for €299 - TOSHIBA, WinXP, 1GB RAM, 160GB hard drive. I think it was a clearance offer; I got the last one they had

It's fit for purpose but when you're used to seeing all, or at least most, of a page in the browser, the smaller screen takes some getting used to. And the smaller keyboard too.

Doesn't a netbook require an external DVD drive? Apart from the additional cost, this would be awkward.

Doesn't a netbook require an external DVD drive? Apart from the additional cost, this would be awkward.

Yes - I think it's something that defines a netbook, i.e. if it has an optical drive, it's not a netbook.

Same point can be made for the iPad.

You're more dependent on web services; both for installing software and, potentially, storage.

Maybe it's me but I think a combination of an iPad and note taking is not ideal.

As I suggested above I would recommend the iPad but only if the OP already has a laptop (which I believe is not the case although stand corrected)

As for note taking. i have been using my iPad in a college environment for going on four weeks now. All notes, timetables and assignments have been stored on it. I also have my list of favorite youtube clips which consists of those taken during the course. When they are being shown I simply go to them and favorite them for later. I keep a separate browser for college work so favorite websites too. I no longer take written notes. I just take my iPad into a lecture and off I go the keyboard is slightly tricky but after the first day there you go. I now take notes without even looking down. Easy as that.

No, a dvd can be put on a flash drive and made bootable quite easily. Given the way digital distribution has developed, the issue of disks is far less of an issue than people think.

With flash drives so cheap, storage is not a problem.

A netbook sounds ideal for the op, but make sure it's one with a good batttery life.

Back