Buying in Cork - Carrigaline Area

If you buy on the Cork side of Carrigaline then you are guaranteed to make a substantial profit even in a few years time. There are no more near future plans, that I know of, of new developments on the Cork side of Carrigaline. Carrigaline is a very good location for commuting as there are several ways to get to the city etc. which is not always the case with other subarbs.

Herons Wood is a beautiful estate, but does not suit everyones taste as it is a large estate with alot of traffic. Personally, I prefer Dun Eoin as it is a smaller, quieter estate and very well kept. I don't know of any power lines going through there.

As for the comment on Carrigaline being a rough area, I don't know where that comment came from. Its like every other subarb - there is good and bad but wouldn't call it rough or dangerous by any means.

Unless they've move the ESB lines recently - but there were lines running right through the estate up to the detached houses at the back.

I think you mean at the side of the estate (was passing there today and took a look). No power lines actually go through the estate or over any houses etc

I also passed last night and double checked and while they've changed the lines there are still lines going right through the estate from across the road and presumably originating from the small sub-station near Fernhill. It doesn't bother some people (and obviously hasn't for the people living there) but it would bother me.

I am far from an expert on the property market, but here's my attempt:
There is huge demand for property in Carrigaline at the moment, as there are no new developments (apart from Heron's Wood which is too big for some people's taste). Houses that sold for 240K 2 years ago are now selling for 320K. As someone mentioned already this appears to be really unsustainable.
There is a development of approx 450 houses planned for the Kilnagleary area off the main Minane Bridge road: this will be served by the new link road off the Crosshaven road, and by Church Hill. The development has been delayed due to incomplete submission to the planning department, but should commence in theory very soon. There is another council/developer development planned for the other side of that same Minane Bridge road. I don't know how big that development is going to be. These two developments should affect the rapid price growth in the general carrigaline area.
However, the new Centecor plant is well underway now, and should bring lots of new jobs to the area on top of the existing several plants, so the rental market will continue to be strong.
All I know is that I couldn't obtain enough of a mortgage to buy two years ago, and certainly can't now.

Hmmm,my sister might have adifferent opinion re Dennehy auctioneer.Never trust any auctioneer,they are only serving their own business interests(which is fair enough)

We bought a 4 bed detached house in Pembroke Woods, Passage West 2 1/2 years ago and it's appreciated by €200K in that time.
I know in the eyes of Cork natives Passage has a probably justified reputation for being rough, and a bit of a hive of republican activity. As an outsider, from Dublin I just see lots of as yet untapped potential.

1. There are a wide variety of of new developments coming on stream: the one oppostite the old Skoda garage; Sirius Heights past the church, which is really beautiful with views of the harbour and very reasonable; another development of high quality detached homes also past the church and a development of townhouses beside the million euro houses by the waterfront at the school.
2. There are plans afoot to demolish the dockyard and open the town up to the waterfront by developing a hotel, shops and boardwalk on the site.
3. Construction on a super-value supermarket is about to begin on the site of the old Skoda garage.

For me the most attractive point about living in Passage West is it's proximity to the water. There's a beautiful walk way along the old railway line from Passage all the way over to Mahon and into Blackrock.

It's true I would never eat out or go for drinks in Passage, but there's a lovely greengrocer, butcher, mini-market and off-licence for essentials... it's a quick hop to Douglas, Mahon or Carrigaline for anything else ...AND the people are VERY friendly! I had friends visiting from Belgium last week, they went to the village in their Irish rental car to pick up a few things, but apparently were driving very slowly. A man stopped them to ask if they were lost and if he could help - they were utterly charmed!!

So, in a nutshell, I think if you're looking for good capital appreciation on your investment, the Passage West market has a lot of legs left! :) (Now wait for all the Corkonians to yell that I'm crazy!! :D )

Hi Jildy, just wondering of you did buy in Carrigaline in the end?

I Have to agree with jay kay - i think passage is good value atthe moment. This is especially true considering its proximity to monkstown and rochestown. All it needs is a face lift

They have not reached their ceiling price. Plans for a cinema, bowling place lidl and a dunnes are waiting for planning permission. A new development has just been released and another one from Steven Mc Carthy is to be released in a years time. Carrigaline is the way to go

car03 said:
If you buy on the Cork side of Carrigaline then you are guaranteed to make a substantial profit even in a few years time.

I would strongly dispute this statement. Nobody buying anywhere at the moment is guaranteed to make a profit in a few years time. The main rule that governs the long term value of housing is supply and demand. There certainly isn't a shortage of housing in Carrigaline - there is more housing in Carrigaline than there are people who, because of work or family commitments, genuinely need to live in Carrigaline. If you really want to live in Carrigaline long term (and there are worse places to live!) then by all means buy in Carrigaline. But don't buy with the idea that Carrigaline is a good place to buy and that you will be able to sell on in a few years at a substantial profit, this would be a high risk adventure rather than a guaranteed investment.

There is a new development going in up in the upper kilmoney road - same builders as castlerock in middleton. Phase one is sold out but phase two is coming on the market in two months time. Specs are fantastic - if i were investing in carrigaline, i'd purchase one of these. Our neighbours in Heronswood sold their three bed semi for 375,000. They bought it three years ago for 162,000. I think Herons wood has reached it's ceiling price. Anyway i'd much rather get a new house than have to pay stamp duty.

Daly auctioneers in Carrigaline and Irish and European. We tried to put a deposit on one in the next phase but they won't take it until they're released - a case of first come first served.
There were only four 4 bed detached (1,500 sq ft - 495,000 euro) in the estate, they are obviously sold out. There are two types of 4 bed semi (1,300 and 1,400 sq ft) and they are on the market for 410,000 and 420,000. There are three bed semis which are quite small at 1,080 sq ft and they are priced at 365,000. Then there's the house type i myself want and that's the four bed end of terraced at 1,770 sq ft and they are going on the market at 450,000 euros. They were meant to be including apartments in the phase too but they don't know if they're going to go ahead with it or not yet. Houses will be ready in 15 months and they should have a showhouse built within the next month.

Alot of extras included in these houses like under floor heating, paved driveway. Personally I dont think they'd make me want to spend 365k on a 3 bed semi on the far side of Carrigaline. Seen the plans etc for them and the front of the houses looked a bit strange.

The prices are way over the top for the smaller houses. Castle Heights is on the wrong side of carrigaline and they're asking 365 for a 3 bed-semi at 1080 sq ft.

Ya but there's no stage payments, so 365,000 in a year and a half wont seem like that much. There is underground heating, kitchen with granite worktops, utility room fitted, walkk in wardrobes, all sanitary ware and jacuzzi bath, house painted in a choice of colours, fireplace and burglar alarm fitted and that vacum system fitted- so i think that they are value for money. There is a relief road in the process of been built, so when the houses are ready, no one will have to pass down through the village.

We were told that the four bed end of terrace would be 430,000 but now they've told us that they've gone up to 450,000.Hoping they wont go up anymore before they're released.

Back