Buying golf clubs - advice

c-saw

What would be considered to be a good set of golf clubs for someone who is just past the beginner stage?

What should I look for in buying a new set of Golf clubs? I found it difficult in a golf shop recently as there were so many different types of clubs and such a price variation?...

You probably need "improver" clubs - designed to be easy to hit. All the main manufacturers have sets in this category. Callaway are notable for these and v popular. I would suggest seeing a club pro, he/she might be able to get a second hand set for around 200e and stick your investment in a series of lessons.

Good Luck

I would recommend a set of second hand cobra irons. I picked up a set hardly used in a golf shop in dundrum for about 275. I couldnt recommend them highly enough, they are a pleasure for an amateur to play with. Also i would stick with a 3 wood at the start and work your way up and buy them as you go. Buy a nice putter though that feels comfortable more than anything else.

Definitely talk to someone in the know though or else it is trying to see in the dark because of choice and price variation.

I'd agree with mrplow about getting some lessons with a pro. It can take time for a novice to determine what clubs suit them best and which ones don't. It doesn't make sense to spend a fortune on clubs only to realise a short time later that other ones would be more suitable for you. I'd get some extra lessons and try a few different sets before buying.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think a set of Callaway and speaking to a pro maybe the way to go...

Pro-Golf in Phibsboro -great place for golf stuff. Have loads of really good secondhand clubs and are very reasonable. Bit like a TK Maxx for golf stuff.
I have no connection but have bought a lot of my own golf gear over the years here.

Back