Buying Diamonds in New York

Educate yourself thouroughly first. You should find a good jeweller in Dublin to show you stones and read up on them. Decide what you want in terms of C's and price. You need to be fairly expert to know what you are doing, the cert is far from all-important.

Overall I would advise against buying a stone from a dealer. Customer care (have you thought about having it set?) and after sales care are very important when the diamond is not an investment. Most jewellers will look after you well after you have bought from them, money well spent IMHO.

PS. Carat is the least important characteristic of a diamond, a well cut fair quality 70 pointer can be astonishingly beautiful while a poorly cut 1.5 carat diamond looks like a piece of a broken windscreen.

PPS. Steer clear of the "Perfect Cut", "Hearts and Arrows" branding.

I have tried in vain, but if this thread intrests people then the same people might get a chuckle outta
[broken link removed]

Would you be liable fro tax on it on your return to Dublin airport. i think you might be so make sure you get your fiancee to wear it and post all the documents and packaging that came with it home rather than carrying it in your luggage. if you are questioned by customs don't tell them you bought it in the states.....

brodiebabe said:
Would you be liable fro tax on it on your return to Dublin airport. i think you might be so make sure you get your fiancee to wear it and post all the documents and packaging that came with it home rather than carrying it in your luggage. if you are questioned by customs don't tell them you bought it in the states.....
Yeah - and don't bother declaring your weekend nixers to the taxman either. Yerrah shure why don't we go back to the halcyon days of the 70's when no-one paid any tax at all at all.

Mate, forget about diamond rings...take your two grand down to Rio and you'll have a far better time...not to mention saving all that dosh on the wedding later.
Marriage is for losers.

What about buying a diamond ring in Walmart? they appear to be all IGI certified

does anybody have an opinion on buying a diamond ring from Macy's ???

Digger said:
What about buying a diamond ring in Walmart? they appear to be all IGI certified

does anybody have an opinion on buying a diamond ring from Macy's ???

Just had a quick look at the walmart site, the diamond rings are a good price but as you will notice how they are graded under clarity, they are actually quite poor quality, might be worth a look at if you went to the states though....

Has anybody looked into buying an engagement ring/diamond in Dubai or South Africa?

Also for antwerp, how many days would be needed to have a good look around?

I got my engagement ring in Macy's in 2000. The whole experience was excellent. The ring was valued in Dublin when I got home and the jeweller valued it at nearly 2.5 times the price I paid for it. The mark up on rings is huge in Ireland.

There's a really good place in Galway,opposite Busker Browne's on Cross Street apparently very reasonable, so my good lady wife tells me, although maybe she has an ulterior motive...daithi

Back