Buying Car in England

Jockey

Hi Lads,

I am looking for advice off people who may have bought cars in the UK, basically i will be going to England next week to buy a car for around £7k. I do not want to carry cash with me and bank of ireland do not offer over the counter service over there. What are the alternatives to paying for the car? I have a graduate account therefore my mastercard only has €1k limit, if i were to lodge the £7k into my mastercard would i be able to pay for the car then, provided the dealer accepts credit cards?

Thanks in advance

Jockey

yeah i reckon you can lodge the money on to the card. just ask them will they accept it in the dealers.

Not a good idea. That would cost dealer 1.5% and will hurt your deal ultimately.

Plus if the money was somehow scammed from your account(via skimming, for example), I do not think that credit balances are covered by credit card insurance policies I.E. in case of fraud, you wouldn't be able to get the money (that you had lodged into the account as a positive balance) back..(at least that was the case years ago while I was travelling around Australia..)
Nicola

Hi Lads,

I am looking for advice off people who may have bought cars in the UK, basically i will be going to England next week to buy a car for around £7k. I do not want to carry cash with me and bank of ireland do not offer over the counter service over there. What are the alternatives to paying for the car? I have a graduate account therefore my mastercard only has €1k limit, if i were to lodge the £7k into my mastercard would i be able to pay for the car then, provided the dealer accepts credit cards?

Thanks in advance

Jockey
Just get a sterling bank draft from your bank, saves all the hassle. the only drawback is that you have to make the draft out to the seller only. therefore if you dont buy the car for whatever reason, you will be charged on the exchange rate when you go to return the draft to your bank for a refund. heading accross myself this week to buy a car, great time to buy with the strength of sterling at mo. best of luck........

Thanks for all your replies. I did buy a car up north before but you can actually go into the bank of ireland up there and withdraw money, but you cant in the bank of ireland in UK.

One final related question, when getting a car checked out, are the AA any good at this? They charge £190 for a comprehensive check and HPI check. If not can anybody recommend a different service?

Jockey

heading accross myself this week to buy a car, great time to buy with the strength of sterling at mo. best of luck........

kkman - what you thinking of/definitely getting? Thinking of going over for a Saab 9.3 myself.

Slim

Is there any alternatives to the sterling bank draft as a payment method,other than bringing cash.

What is the best one way deal to bring car back to ireland by ferry after buying it in U.K - I see stena line has deal €140 for car and driver return.

Hello Slim,
Just brought my accord back to Ireland yesterday. absolutely delighted with it. everything checked out ok.

Well done. Good luck with it. All I have to do is sell my mondeo and I am off for the Saab...Slim

Back