Buying anonymously

Hi, is it possible to buy a property anonymously via a solicitor?
Why don't you tell us why you want to do this for better suggestions. While you can buy using a solicitor. But your name will have to be on the title. Unless you use some legal vehicle, like the very rich do.

I was involved in a house bid during the Summer and found the auctioneer very difficult to deal with-the house bidding was moving VERY quickly and I felt that he pressured me a lot to respond VERY quickly to bids. A few houses have come up of interest to me since but I would seriously consider getting a solicitor (my sister) to act on my behalf

There's a property for sale that my brother is interested in buying. But there is bad blood between him and the seller. To the extent that there would be no chance of his bid being entertained no matter how high.
Just seeing if it was possible to use the solicitor to process the whole transaction without the seller discovering who the bidder is.

Is the solicitor going to tell the estate agent that they acting for a buyer who is refusing to say who they are , or pretend to be buying it for themselves and then put a different name on the contract? Either is likely to annoy the sellers or alert them that it is a buyer they should not take seriously?

Either way, the buyers name will be on the contract

The seller will know before they sign contracts so that won't fly...

Either way, the buyers name will be on the contract

Eh, are either of you solicitors?

As I understand it Palerider can enter into a contract to buy from Brendan.
When the actual deed is being done, Palrider's solicitor can instruct Brendan's solicitor to put the property in the name of Huskerdu.

So,Brendan will be forced to sell to Huskerdu, even if he did not want to.

The only way to avoid it would be for the contract to specify that Huskerdu was not to be the buyer.

Brendan

Not a Solicitor but I have bought property and cannot see that working, apart from being a convoluted approach my sense is that you would be adding layers unnecessarily to the conveyance process, you may have to show seasoned proof of funds, sign contracts, family home declarations etc have to be completed, deposits paid etc, my Solicitor wouldn't do it.

Not a Solicitor but I have bought property and cannot see that working, apart from being a convoluted approach my sense is that you would be adding layers unnecessarily to the conveyance process, you may have to show seasoned proof of funds, sign contracts, family home declarations etc have to be completed, deposits paid etc, my Solicitor wouldn't do it.
Am a solicitor. Could be done but as solicitor has to be willing it’s convoluted. Plenty of legal transactions are. I’d look for the full consideration and all fees to sit in a client account before acting for a private individual as agent.

Am a solicitor. Could be done but as solicitor has to be willing it’s convoluted. Plenty of legal transactions are. I’d look for the full consideration and all fees to sit in a client account before acting for a private individual as agent.
Wouldn't the OP only need to have the solicitor sign the contract as agent and after that all the documents could be in the correct name without the seller being aware of who it was.

Is there a chance the vendor will become suspicious of who's behind the agent and pull the sale anyway?

Is there a chance the vendor will become suspicious of who's behind the agent and pull the sale anyway?

One hopes that the purchaser is not intending to live near the seller. As this has all the makings of an outright war.

Wouldn't the OP only need to have the solicitor sign the contract as agent and after that all the documents could be in the correct name without the seller being aware of who it was.
Yes, but reason solicitor would want to be in funds is if buyer pulls out, the solicitor has signed a binding contract. It doesn't have to be the solicitor that signs - it can be anybody.

Seller doesn't need to know the person signing contract is acting as an agent.

I'm not disputing about the funds being in place. But I bet anything that's impossible as most property transactions require a mortgage.

That's why I asked if a mortgage was required. And nothing is impossible, just difficult.

By the way, about 1/3 of residential property transactions are completed without a mortgage on the purchased property.

I am not a solicitor but have worked for them for a number of years. We have purchased many properties where the solicitor acting for the purchaser has signed on behalf of the purchaser (in trust). In one particular case there were family members involved who didn't get on. Once the deal went through it was known who the purchaser was but at that stage it was too late for anyone to do anything about it.

Back