Buying a Wedding Dress

funnymunny

I hope its ok to post this, its not a question but a tip to any would be brides out there. As I posted previously I am getting married in August and have been looking at wedding dresses. I found the one I want locally and when I asked the price was told Eur1595.00 which was way over budget but it was really the one I wanted so I said I would go with it. I didn't order it there and then as it was one of the first I tried on and I wanted to have a look at others. After about 5 shops I didn't find anything as nice as it so said I would have another look at it on the internet before I made an appointment to try it on a final time and book the dress. To my surprise and delight I found the exact same dress in Sligo for.....Eur959.00 (same designer, same style, same colour). Rang the shop and she said they did not have it in stock but would be happy to order it for me (therefore its not a shop sample). I was very cheeky and asked her if I paid for it in full would she give me anything off it, so she gave it to me for Eur930.00 (was hoping for Eur900.00 but you can't have it every way). So ladies, if you see the dress of your dreams, check out the other stockists and English stockists (they were slightly cheaper again) and you may save yourself a fortune. I would have been very foolish to buy the dress straight away as I have now saved myself Eur665.00 which will go a hell of a long way towards other things. Oh and don't be afraid to bargain with them either!

Similiar story happened to a friend of mine - on the bridesmaids dresses, the ones she wanted were priced 250 euro each here in Ireland, an online search found them at 80 dollars each on an american site, she got them sent over and had a dressmaker alter them for a few euro - saved herself just under 500 euro.

The dresses on those american websites look amazing and they are so reasonable price wise. My friend was thinking about ordering from one of them but do you really get what you see? Is the quality very good and what are the sizes like?

re the bridesmaids dresses, the dresses on the website were the same make as the ones seen in a shop in Ireland so my friend knew what the quality was like (it was good), for sizing she emailed the american site and they helped her with measurements/conversions, she allowed a bit of generosity so that a dressmaker could alter them down if necessary - better to have too much material than too little!!

Hi,

I'm getting married in July. I bought my dress from an American website. It cost approx. €1000 less to buy online than from a bridal shop in Ireland (including delivery and customs). The exchange rate worked in my favour also. Quality etc was perfect. It was just a bit wrinkled!

I bought my Dessy bridesmaids dresses on an american website www.rkbridal.com
Dresses were between 250 & 280 euro here, and I got them for $136 & $80 to ship them both. Arrived in under two weeks, even though they say to allow 12 weeks.

If you buy from those US sites, budget for customs and duty charges too as they almost all use couriers which are automatically checked by customs. From my time on weddingsonline, almost every bride had to pay the duty etc but still saved hundreds compared to the prices here.

Hi I have also ordered my Paloma Blanca wedding dress from RK Bridal in New York and it works out half the price of what I was quoted here. There is no difference in terms of quality as RK Bridal are an official stockist just like the bridal shops here. I will more than likely get the bridesmaids dresses here also!

Has anyone tried saying this to the Irish shop? I haven't started looking for a dress yet but when I do if I find one I like and see it cheaper in the US might tell the shop this and see if they match it. I did this witha telescope and saved 300 euro! :) I love bargains

Has anyone tried saying this to the Irish shop? I haven't started looking for a dress yet but when I do if I find one I like and see it cheaper in the US might tell the shop this and see if they match it. I did this witha telescope and saved 300 euro! :) I love bargains

Really? I must start trying things like that - did the telescope people quibble at all?

It would definitely be worth tellling the wedding dress shop that - I wonder why there is such a vast difference in price?

Hi TS no I rang them said I'm looking at x telescope on your website but I can see it online in the UK for 300 less can you do anything for me, straight away no probs we'll match it!

PC7 - thats pretty good - I never thought of actually doing something like that.
If it works for a telescope maybe itll work on other stuff too!

hi, i'm bridesmaid for my sister who is getting the dresses from that site mentioned above in the US and we went to a place Klassy in clonegal co. carlow where the lady lets you try on the dresses and gets you properly fitted with all your sizing and then gave us info on how and where to buy online with the authorised dealers so we got the best of both worlds..was a bit nervous when my sister first said buying online but it was a great option - no sneaky looking at labels or dress sizes either :) Customs is approx 35% of overall cost when we checked with revenue but still much cheaper option

Back