Buying a used car from North.

• Thread starter BIJUMATHEWIR
  • Start date
B

BIJUMATHEWIR

HI all,

I 'm looking to buy a used corolla verso from NI, and am seeking for some good advice on this regard. The price looks way cheaper, but the VRT calculation kills the enthusiasm. Could any body out there tell me what I should be careful, how I can save some penny etc; if I buy a used car from NI?

Thanks

The VRT is greatly determined by year and fuel type. You'll pay considerably less VRT if you go for a diesel. I recently purchased a car from NI and saved several thousands based on listed used prices on websites here.

I'd advise you to avoid private sales and stick with dealers. Look for cars that've passed a used vehicle check, such as Network Q. Also, you could pay for a vehicle inspection by the RAC, AA etc., although this is a little pricey. Preferably, take someone with you who knows a bit about cars. It may also be worthwhile checking the car is 100% legal by using an online service such as cartell.ie. It would be highly unlikely a dealer would sell a stolen car!

If you import a car that is 4+ years old you must arrange an immediate NCT. It's less hassle to buy a younger car especially as you'll be sorting out insurance, VRT then motor tax.

Finally, I'm not certain as to how willing dealers might be to accept a trade-in. Factor this into your costings.

Thanks AMatt. Would you recommend any dealer/website in particular?

Bought a diesel Auris from Mid-Ulster cars in Cookstown (Toyota main dealer) last year. Found them and the car very straight!

[http://midulstercars.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toyota/bv/dealersites/dealer_home.jsp?dealerId=03827&id=D_homepage[/URL]

Toyota.co.uk website has a good used car section where you can research the car prices throughout Britain and NI.

I have no connection with Toyota or MidUlster other than being a satisfied customer.

Thanks AMatt. Would you recommend any dealer/website in particular?

I was offline for a few days so I'm only getting a chance to reply now.

The previous suggestion was fine. Any of the bigger dealers are ok as far as I know. I went with the Charles Hurst group, although only because I have a contact there.

As with any dealer, don't appear too enthusiastic. They reckon if you've travelled that far then you'll want to leave with a car.

Other dealers include Agnews and Prentice Cars. Autotrader.ie will list cars in the north (with approximate Euro prices) and another site is usedcarsni.com. You'll see the same ads from dealers on these sites plus a few private sellers.

thank you AMatt & Jetblue. I'm gonna give a try!

Back