Buying a new car, now or January '10?

Joshnot

We are buying a new car - we have argued the pros and cons back and forth for quite sometime and that decision has been made.

The dealership has one in stock at the moment ready for collection so there will be no delay in getting the car.

The question we have now is - do we buy now or should we wait until January?

We do have a car to trade in and obviously that will be worth even less in the New Year.

Thanks

It's swings and roundabouts really.......are you bothered that you will only get approx. 4 months out of the new plate (this is a significant factor for some people and may effect you later on if you are someone who trades in regularly)

Secondly, just check a couple of things with your garage......just make sure the model you are picking is not due for upgrade/replacement....find out how far down the life cycle the car is.....

Also, dealerships (with input from the manufacturers) will be able to make special offers from time to time in order to shift particular models. Just make sure there is nothing like this in the pipeline..........examples in 2009 include Toyota Cashback, think Renault did it too..........VW offering significant discounts on models due for Phase out example old model golf.

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. It is a new Avensis we have decided on so there is no issue there with new models in the pipeline.
Glad to see there wasn't anyone ranting at me telling me I am completely nuts so am taking that as a good thing.

There are special forums for ranting and raving .

By all means , go ahead and buy now , but remember , as soon as you leave the garage , it will have lost value .
You know yourself , before you asked this question, that it is not a good time of the year to buy a new car , with only 4 months left .

Car sales , have dropped dramatically , and depending on the condition , of your present car , it may be better choice to wait til January.

As you know , your present car will be worth considerably less in January , so you will need to decide if you should take the trade in value now , or wait.

As you dont appear to be in any hurry , I believe , you should find out now , how much the garage are going to offer you for your present car , and in the meantime , advertise it and try to sell privately , .

You know , by selling privately , you would probably get more for it.

So , to answer your question , imo , wait till January 2010

... Glad to see there wasn't anyone ranting at me telling me I am completely nuts so am taking that as a good thing.
Are ye shtone daft? Do ye not know we're officially in a recession? Have ye nuttin' better to wayshte money on? I dunno, that baytes Bannagher, fecken' cars, 'tis far from cars we were raised, God knows..... ;)

I just bought a new 09 car...was in stock. The car is also due for a replacement in 2010. Am I mad, maybe not. Reasons....the replacement is fugly, I got a huge discount on buying with cash and I got a good offer for my own car private sale, plus I plan to keep it for about 8yrs

Joshnot, reason I would not rant and rave is that I have an 09 too.

Have you checked what they are giving you as a trade in, against what they would give you as a cash customer? Do your figures and you might be better selling private for the equivalent of the trade in and then getting the cash discount.

T. O'Sullivan, there is no problem buying a model that is due for replacement once you know that, and get the benefit of the discount now. If you are keeping it for 8 or so years, it is not going to affect trade in same way as it would if you trade 2-3 years.

Avensis is not going to change, as I think it is just recently changed? Are there special offers on at the minute. Just check with garage. Sometimes manufacturers offer specials, indeed Toyota did Cashback offers this year on Yaris, Auris and Avensis (in March, if I recall correctly) Garage may not be aware that these are in the pipeline and they are usually offered in first quarter to boost sales. Given that sales are currently over 70%, there is a good chance these offers will be there. You might just have to take a chance on it.

Good luck with it and be careful with the new car.....friend of mine bought a small jeep and when he came back from shopping to the car park, found someone had keyed the bonnet in circles. I had numerous people tutting, v signs, etc. People dont like new cars at the moment, hopefully that will change.

Good luck with it.

If I were buying an 09 now I'd expect a discount to reflect eight months depreciation. Also, anecdotally, people say that august is a good time to get a discount as it's a slow month for sales.

I never criticize people for buying new because if they don't buy new I can't buy second hand.

Good luck and i hope you enjoy your car.

Also, anecdotally, people say that august is a good time to get a discount as it's a slow month for sales.
I think that statement applies to every month this year.

Another option if the car you are trading in is in good nick - find out if any friends / family members are looking for a run about / first car and offer it to them at a "trade" price.

To get to the trade price, find out the straight deal price of the new car and deduct the difference bewteen this & the full retail price from your trade in offer.

e.g. New price = €25,000, Cash price = €21,000 (very realistic discount in today's market)
Trade in offer on current car = €10,000 (guessing)

Deduct €4,000 from this (straight deal discount) and offer it for €6000 - everybody happy.

Overall; its quite late in the year & I think that 10 reg will be a bit like 00, in other words a 09 reg will "age" quite quickly. That said, there is a feeling that car & truck prices will escalate when inventories are run down. As regards "new models", often the last of an "old model" is the best in terms of proven reliability, whilst the "new model" will have teething problems. It depends how "fashion conscious" you are & if you intend keeping the car a long time. And by the way, congratulations! If everyone decides not to spend the economy will never be "kick-started". And as for depreciation, sure, "you can't bring it with you" & enjoy your comforts, IF you can afford it!

For the sake of four months, I would wait to see what happens in the Budget. Maybe they'll abolish VRT.

Good luck with it and be careful with the new car.....friend of mine bought a small jeep and when he came back from shopping to the car park, found someone had keyed the bonnet in circles. I had numerous people tutting, v signs, etc. People dont like new cars at the moment, hopefully that will change.
That's insane. So people would rather people didn't buy new cars, save their money, and make the economy that bit slightly worse.

Back