buying a commerical van

pajmcder

i plan to start my own businesss and i will need a commerical and i was thinking of trading in my nisssan almara 1.5 for one, the type of van i would need should be strong enought capable of pulling a trailer with a ride on lawnmower in the back, any suggestions.

How much room do you need inside?
WIll you need 4x4?
Is it a case that the Almera has just about coped till now?
Would a 4 wheel drive estate car do?

If you need to get a ride on lawnmower on the back, you might need a pickup commercial or a high roof van, or smaller box back van, best thing to do is take the overall dimensions of the mower, get a couple of brochures with internal dimension and compare, or go to a few dealers and check them out in the flesh.

There are loads on the market, if you decide on a Double Cab pickup be ware that you need to pay 13.5% vrt (which will be included in the price)
Compared to a van which is 50 euro flat rate. I suppose it depends whether or not you want to carry more than 1 passenger.

Because you already have a nissan, then maybe look at nissan commerical models first for trade-in, but it probably won't matter too much in the end.

also diesel engine is best for pulling trailers

If you're going for a small van, go for a Caddy TDi, should be plenty of torque in that engine for pulling a loaded trailer.

conor_mc said:
If you're going for a small van, go for a Caddy TDi, should be plenty of torque in that engine for pulling a loaded trailer.

Yes caddy is good, but is it big enough for a big lawnmower and all the other gear need and also pull a trailer?

also is the 1.9 tdi engine big enough?, as its commerical, road tax cost wont matter

just a thought.

mc-BigE said:
Yes caddy is good, but is it big enough for a big lawnmower and all the other gear need and also pull a trailer?

Thought the trailer was for the lawnmower? Wouldn't imagine that to be much heavier than a speedboat w/outboard for example, and I've towed one of them in a 1.3 litre fiesta on a woefully balanced trailer!

Other concerns would be if there was a need to carry a large amount of lawn rolls, peat moss or something like that, which would be heavy enough. Or trying to pull the trailer off-road, onto greens etc.

If not, Caddy TDi would be ideal. Get yourself a twin-axle trailer and it's even easier to tow.

conor_mc said:
Thought the trailer was for the lawnmower?

yes, i miss-read that one in the post:eek:

double axle trailer sounds the right way to go imo, but you need something strong in front, i think the 4x4 sounds good, but expensive.

Back