Buying a car in the UK

Yup. The revenue has access to all the manufacturers data bases in the uk. My car was over 6 months old and yes i did import it myself. From what i know the revuene calculate their price at slightly (5%) less than the open market selling price.

Hi I checked on the Revenue site for the VRT.
They calculate an extra charge for the S-Line model compared to the SE which is the standard spec (€700 extra).
So hopefully I am right in thinking that they will not charge extra for what is the standard spec in the UK compared to the standard Irish spec.
I do expect that if the car has leather and other extras over and above the standard UK spec I will be charged more.

Have a look at this site. They have a whole section about importing a used car into Irl.

Most of their cars seem to be pretty good. One owner. If nothing else it will give you an idea.

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/carsupermarket/HowToImport_ie.asp

Murt

I've used Car Giant in Acton/Shepards Bush a couple of times and found them to be reliable - also know a lot of friends in London who have bought there. They make a large chunk of their money selling car finance so you may find the armies of sales staff there lose interest when they realise you are over from Ireland.
The web tool is excellent and in conjunction with the Revenue's VRT tool, you should be able to predict total cost pretty accurately.

I found the VRT people very helpful and friendly. One told me that they generally won't bother looking for extras etc unless the car is a high end model where the extras can add tens of thousands to the value .

There was a guy on Today with Pat Kenny (Tom McGuirk) on Mon morning just after 1100 hrs who brought a car in from the UK he was on about the process and tax etc, he mentioned some check that he got done but I missed the name of it, has anybody got it?

Main Dealers charge roughly 25% more than trade value to cover costs and warranty. There are private traders in the UK that sell legitimate 1 owner fully serviced vehicles, this is the way to go for BEST value.

Before doing the deal make sure you HPI check for outstanding finance, insurance claims and possible service history. Also, make sure the service manual has plenty of stamps in the book at the required intervals (make sure Timing belt has been done if over 60K miles) It is good practice to look a the last stamp in the book and ring the garage to confirm their record tallies with the record in the book.

If the last service in the book is over 18 months be careful, the car may be clocked ! Clockers look for these opportunities.

Depending on location of your vehicle registration office (VRO) they may inspect. In the case of an S-Line, if the standard spec is leather, alloys etc then this has already been factored when calculating VRT, it should not be considered extra.

Revenue do carry out sample inspections and may audit after VRT has been paid (I am told).

Back