Business name for sole trader

esperanza2

Hello,

I will be setting myself up as a sole trader from 1st February. I plan to use my real name for business purposes as is usual for a sole trader, I imagine. However, I do plan to use a business name for marketing purposes. I've thought up of a great name, but found that there is a similar business operating under the same name in the UK. Does this matter? Can I go ahead and choose this name anyway given my business will be in Ireland or do I need to think of another name. I don't want to be sued for breaching intellectual property rights or whatever,

Regarding the business name, if you go on the CRO website you can check that the name is not already in use by conducting a search of their business name directory.

There are no restrictions/protections on the use of a business name. If you set up a business name, there is nothing to stop someone else using the same business name. How many "The Village Inn" business names are there in Ireland. You can only protect a name if you have a limited company with that name.

You need to be careful that the business name doesnt infringe on a trademark

So for example you couldnt setup a soft drinks company and call it Coca Cola as that name is trademarked, look to see if there name is a registered TM

Back