Bullying in the workplace what can I do?

Hi Blueeyes

Really sorry to hear what you've been through. I had a similar experience and felt little help was available from the co. and subsequently left. I appreciate that you might be very emotional and feeling low at the moment. Can I make a few suggestions - please ignore anything that might upset you. Just that I can remember how I felt and now with a bit of hindsight some of the actions I could have taken, but didn't:

Suggest you concentrate on what are your most important needs (leaving the bullying matter to one side) - write them down and assess how you can meet these.

If you need the income/job to meet these needs, forget about the feeling of needing justice done re the bullying for the present and concentrate on your own health and well being, and return to the workplace. The first day will be the most difficult, but it will get easier and you will be clearly stating to the company that you are strong. It is easy in this situation in getting caught up in 'outing' the bully (and yes that is what I wanted too). So, if you need to get back to work - then do it knowing that it is because you have a clear objective for doing so,eg staying involved with the company in order to maintain your career path etc..

Else, your course of action currently appears to be one way of dealing with the issue.
Do you have someone to talk to about this situation (ie. a colleague)??

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all of your valued advice, I have been offered a temporary role in a different department and been assured that once that contract is up, I wont be put back to where I was bullied.

The situation in Ireland is pretty bad ... i.e. loosing jobs everywhere.

So I've decided to take this role, and hope everything improves, its also pretty close to christmas, so I feel better going back.

Thanks again.... I just hope this isnt a trick to get back to work and then spring something on me.. I have to trust them at some stage.

Blue eyes.

I know what this situation is like, having worked some years ago, with a bully. I was only working with the bully short term, but I had to go to their boss eventually and explain what was going on. He dealt with the situation, and the bully treated me properly from then on. Thankfully it was only a short term project anyway. I have no doubt that this bully had gotten away with their behaviour for many many years and it was a big shock for them to be taken aside by the boss. I think many organisations treat bullying as a problem that they simply hope will go away. I wish you the very best of luck and I sincerely hope and pray that everything works out well for you.

My partner went through a similar thing, it was awful. Was given a PIP after a glowing review a month earlier and always overachieving etc. Was made feel like utter crap and HR dept were useless, completely siding with manager. His life was made hell, unrealistic deadlines, completely bombarded with work. We kept notes of everything, conversations, emails etc and then went to a solicitor. It seemed like they were trying to push him out but he hung in there and decided he wasnt going to let them get away with it. He went to his doctor who signed him off on stress leave as his blood pressure had rocketed and spent most of his days on the loo with the stress. We then went to a solicitor with all the documentation and took their advice. They didnt send a letter directly from them but worded letters for him to give employers. Then after a few months of being messed around the solicitor came in on record and kicked ass! Ours had a happy ending, negotiated a good exit package but I think more importantly my partner felt his name and reputation had been cleared. Good websites I came across were the hse workplace bullying and the following http://www.bullyonline.org/workbully/amibeing.htm
It is so hard to pinpoint corporate bullying but I thought this website did it very well.
Best of luck, I hope the change in dept is all that is needed. Look after yourself as these things can take there toll.

Hi,

Thanks, so far the new place seems quite nice and no stress at all !! which is great, I think by me walking back and the Bully is still in the same building, it shows that I won!! at least thats how I feel, Thanks for all of the advise, it was great.

Blueeyes

I was only working with the bully short term, but I had to go to their boss eventually and explain what was going on. He dealt with the situation, and the bully treated me properly from then on. Thankfully it was only a short term project anyway. I have no doubt that this bully had gotten away with their behaviour for many many years and it was a big shock for them to be taken aside by the boss.

How come no one else had made a similar complaint? You seemed to have picked up very quickly on his bullying, why was this the case?

I was bullied in one department. People working in that department ignored the bullying. HR knew that this guy was a bully and they did nothing.

Bullying seems common in the workplace.

But the person who is bullied is pretty isolated.

The whole experience was terrible.

I had took a transfer to get out of there.

My advice - don't let it get you dowm - It goes on more than you know.

Back