Buildings Insurance Query

Tigger

Hi all,

I received a letter from my insurers telling me their assessor had informed them my property was under insured(I had a claim for storm damage earlier in the year) and that although "it is ultimately up to the policy holder to decide on the level of insurance for their needs" they were informing me that I might want to relook at the level of insurance I have and if they did not hear from me they would up the level on renewal.

Well they did hear from me. I responded to their letter telling them I was happy with the cover I had. I since received two more letters of the same elk and a renewal letter where they state they did not hear from me and therefore upped my insurance from e200k to e360k with an increase of almost e400 premium.

When I phoned them they told me I had agreed to furnish them with a professional valuation....I did not. They claimed I stated this in my first phone call to them....I did not. When I requested a copy of the voice recording from that call they changed their story to what it was i.e. I would take advice myself and if I was advised I needed extra cover then I would seek that.

I have challenged them over this and they have told me their under writers insist I provide a professional valuation and in the absence of this they cannot offer me insurance. Considering their letter states as above "it is ultimately up to the policy holder......." can anyone tell me if they can do this?? It is also worth noting my insurance is with Alliance through Permanent TSB. It is also worth noting Permanent TSB have issued a repossession order on my home as they deem it unsustainable on my income along....I`m separated and ex spouse pays nothing towards the mortgage or anything to do with the home. I find it ironic that Permanent TSB say I can`t pay my mortgage yet insist I increase the insurance on a property they are looking to take off me!!!!.......can anyone please advise, thanks!

Firstly the Alliance insurance has nothing to do with your mortgage issues with PTSB.

It seems you are underinsured. What is the reinstatment value of your home, this is not the price your house would sell for, it is the amount it would cost to rebuild it. Do you know this.

I do not understand you sayiing the period has gone up by 400 € when it has gone from 200 to 360, an increase of 160 annually?

It has become normal for insurances to up the premiums to take account of increased building costs. Normally you can object to this if you think they are wrong.

How much is the buildings insurance is for contents - have a look at your policy. Sometimes you can reduce that cover and it brings the premium down.

I read from the post that the valuation of the property has increased from €200,000 to €360,000 and thus the insurance premium has increased by almost €400?

Reactions: jim
Yes Emeralds you are right, I misunderstood it. That seems a lot, 400€ for another 160K of cover? (maybe it's a ruse/method of getting something back as they had a payout to her - on the other thread)

Back