Building New House - Where to Start?

Kevin

I've decided to build a house (not using contractor) and don't know where to start. My dad's giving me a site to build. These are the things I need to put in correct order?

* Get mortgage approval from bank
* Apply for outline planning permission
* Consult with architect to draw up house plans
* Apply for full planning permission
* Proceed with organising builders, etc.

Is it worth/necessary to consult with an architect before any planning permission application?

As I plan to build without contractors, I'll be paying builders, plumbers as I go along. Any idea what type of mortgage or arrangement is most suitable?

With regard to the mortgage and drawing down the stage payments you will have to have either an architect or engineer to oversee the build - he or she will certify the work and request the next stage which is advanced via your solicitor. The architect/engineer must have professional indemnity insurance.

Sarah

www.rea.ie

Kevin, not sure which county council you will be dealing with, but from my own experience, you need to liase with the planners. Ring to see if they have a pre-planning clinic. This will allow you to show them the site and they can give you advice on what they would expect to see in your application. Be aware, they can also be quite adamant at these meetings that the site location is not suitable!!! Local need can be a big issue (if rural) so have a good case made. If you just go for outline planning permission to begin with, you will still need someone to draw up site plans for you i believe. If you got a positive reaction from your meeting with the planners, you could go for full planning and save time. Good luck

Back