Building Energy Rating Certificate

T

TinpotTimmy

Hi There,

Was wondering are people aware of the Building Energy Rating Certificate coming into effect on 1.1.2007. This will tell you how energy efficient a property is & would be useful in letting or selling in future. In my experience, solicitors, & developers are not aware of this. Are there assessors out there who will produce this cert.

See [broken link removed]
& [broken link removed].

I am due to take ownership of a new house. If I close on time (Before end of this year), I wont be entitled to a Building Energy Rating Certificate.

If I close early, can I get a Building Energy Rating Certificate independently through an assessor. Is there a list available of these assessors and how much would it cost ?

If I close late, will the Builder supply me with the cert through his solicitor. I guess that the contract may need to be amended to say it would be included ?

How long would it take to get the Cert ?

Is this directive ready for Implementation from Jan 4th, 2007 ?

How quickly can the certs be issued if the assessor needs to start from scratch ?
Can I close in early January without the BER Cert ? & have it sent on later ?

I have been given a 1st closing date before year end mid dec but I believe if I miss this I can get another 28 days without fear of losing the chance completing the purchase of the property. If this is the case, I reckon I would be well within my rights to hold off til new year and get the BER cert ? This the question I need answered.

I think this is the case.

Any thoughts, advice or knowledge would be much appreciated as I am sure there are a couple of thousand property deals which are due for closure in the next 2 weeks with everyone under pressure to close before the year end.

TinPot

Jan next year applies to new build houses only. OF this group of houses as far as I m aware if the planning permission was granted prior to about June/July are exempt.

Jan next year applies to new build houses only. OF this group of houses as far as I m aware if the planning permission was granted prior to about June/July are exempt.

That's correct Meathman.

The first batch of 60 assessors did their training last week, however it seems that the software commissioned by SEI is still not fully ready and still needs considerable further work to iron out the bugs.

Rumour has it that there will be a statement from the Minister this coming week and Paddy Power is giving "odds on" that the introduction will be delayed until the middle of 2007 with the exemption extended to all houses that have been granted planning permission up to the end of this year. All allegedly of course!;)

Back